What you will need
- Park the Mazda and allow the engine to cool down for at least thirty minutes.
- Locate the hood release underneath the dashboard of your Mazda. Pull the lever until you hear the Mazda hood pop open. Next, you need to release the hood safety latch at the front of your hood.
- Next, locate the coolant reservoir (tank) on your Mazda. This is the location where you add an engine coolant reservoir on a Mazda. On this Mazda 5, the coolant reservoir is located on the passenger side of the engine.
- Look at the coolant reservoir tank and take note of the low and high levels. If the level is below the minimum mark, you will need to add coolant, or your Mazda may overheat and blow a head gasket.
- Remove the coolant reservoir cap very slowly.
- Add engine coolant/antifreeze. Only add the coolant type recommended by Mazda.
Adding engine coolant to a Mazda 5 is easy. Only add the coolant type recommended by Mazda. If the light for the low engine coolant level turns on, make sure to check the coolant level when the engine is cold.
Do not open the radiator cap of your Mazda 5 if the engine is hot.
Instead, add coolant to the coolant reservoir. If the light on your Mazda dashboard has turned on, indicating a low coolant level, the first thing you need to do is check the coolant level. Do not continue to operate your Mazda 5 if the engine is overheating or the high engine temperature light comes on.