To open the hood on a Toyota, pull the hood release under the dashboard, on the driver's side. Pull the lever, then go to the front of the car.
Slide your hand under the hood just above the grille. Press on the hood latch to one side as you lift the hood. You should be able to easily open/lift the hood (bonnet).
How to Open the Hood on a Toyota
- Park the Toyota on level ground. If your Toyota is locked, follow this guide on how to unlock a Toyota manually. Turn off the ignition and set the parking brakes. Move the shifter to the Park position.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard. You should hear the hood pop open.
- Go to the front of the car. Lift the hood a little and slide your hand under the hood, which should be popped up slightly. If the hood has not raised about one inch, pull the hood release again. Here is a closer look at the hood latch on a Toyota.
- Lift the hood and use the prop rod to keep it open. If your Toyota has hydraulic supports, ensure it can stay open on its own. Toyota hood supports can get weaker over time and cause the hood to fall, or the hood won't stay open.
Can't Open Toyota Hood
In some cases, a Toyota hood may not open when you try to pull the hood release. You first need to inspect the hood release under the dashboard to make sure the cable is still attached to the handle.
Next, get a friend to help you and try the following procedure.
- Please have a friend place the palms of their hand on the hood right above the hood latch (by the Toyota logo), push down, and keep the pressure on the hood downwards.
- While your friend keeps the hood pressed down, you pull the hood release under the dashboard and keep it pulled out.
- Ask your friend to insert their fingers under the hood and lift it. In most cases, the hood will pop open.
- Open the hood and support it with the prop rod.
In most cases, this simple procedure will allow you to open a stuck Toyota hood. You will need a friend to help you. You can't complete this step with one person.
How to open the Toyota hood with a broken cable
If your Toyota hood cable is broken, there are a few possible ways to open the hood:
- If the cable has come off the release under the dashboard, you can use pliers to pull on the cable head or reinstall the handle.
- If the hood latch breaks the cable, remove the splash shield under the vehicle. Use a long screwdriver or hook to access and release the hood latch.
- In some cases, you may be able to use a screwdriver to access the hood release through the front grill. This does not work on all models.
This guide will help you open the hood on many models, including Toyota Camry, Corolla, Rav4, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, Supra, Prius, Tacoma, Yaris, etc. At the end of this guide, you will find tips to help you open a stuck Toyota hood.