- Find out your VIN. The VIN will be in your registration, lower-left corner of the windshield, and also on the driver's door frame.
- Locate the closest BMW dealer near you using this link.
- Call the parts department and provide them your VIN to get a quote. You may want to call more than one dealer as prices vary slightly from dealership to dealership.
- Head over to the dealership with the following documents:
- Vehicle registration or Title
- Your driver's license
Ownership information for items 1 and 2 need to match. If you are not the owner of the BMW, you can order a new key if you have a signed Power of Attorney from the owner of the vehicle.
The vehicle does not need to be at the dealership. The typical cost for a new BMW key is $300-$410 for the proximity key. This key has a metal blade inserted. The metal blade can be purchased separately for $45-$60 if necessary.
The older style BMW key (diamond key) costs around $165-$210 depending on location.
Frequently Asked Questions
- My BMW key is damaged, can it be repaired?
- It is quite common for the BMW key shell to wear out or get damaged over time. If the key still functions, you can replace the shell with a new BMW Key Shell. This is a lot cheaper than buying a new BMW key.
- How do I get a new key for my BMW?
- You can order a new key from any BMW dealer. You will need to show proof of ownership and your ID without taking the car to the dealership.
- How do you program a new BMW Key?
- Your BMW key should come pre-programmed to your vehicle. Just insert it into the ignition slot once and start the car. Very few new BMW keys may need programming.
- Can I replace the battery in my keyfob or do I need a new key?
- Some BMW keys have rechargeable batteries. Eventually, even these batteries die. These keys were not meant to be serviced. BMW dealerships will recommend that you purchase a new key. The good news is that even these keys can be opened, and the battery can often be replaced. It is a lot cheaper to open up the shell and replace the battery than spend $300+ on a new key.
- Can a locksmith make a copy of the BMW key?