- Charge the battery fully then test it with a battery tester. For more help follow this guide. Check the battery date sticker on the top or side of battery. Most car batteries last between three to five years.
- During charging and jump-starting, explosive gases can escape from the battery. There is a risk of an explosion. Particularly avoid fire, open flames, creating sparks, and smoking. Ensure there is sufficient ventilation while charging and jump-starting. Do not lean over a battery.
- Make sure that the positive terminal of a connected battery does not come into contact with vehicle parts. Never place metal objects or tools on a battery. It is important that you observe the described order of the battery terminals when connecting and disconnecting a battery.
- When jump-starting, make sure that the battery poles with identical polarity are connected. It is particularly important to observe the described order when connecting and disconnecting the jumper cables. Never connect or disconnect the battery terminals while the engine is running
- Make sure the jumper cables are not damaged or wires are exposed.
- The jumper cables should not contact the parts that can move when the engine is running, such as the V-belt pulley or the fan.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to get into the trunk, if you have a dead battery
How to charge a dead battery
- By trickle charging a dead battery, you have a better chance of bringing the battery back to life. Otherwise, your battery may no longer hold a proper charge.
- Use the OEM 12 Volt Battery Charger or even the cheaper Black+Decker BBM3B 12V Battery Charger Maintainer, which works just as well.
- It will take at least 24 hours to bring a completely dead battery back to life. You are only providing 2 Amperes to the battery, which is a slow charge but ensures no damage is caused to the battery cells.
My car battery keeps dying
- If your battery keeps on dying or is not holding a proper charge, it could be due to any of the following:
- Battery age / old battery
- Corroded or loose battery connections
- Parasitic current drains in the electrical system.