What you will need
How to charge a dead Toyota car battery:
- Manually open the driver door. Use the metal key blade in your key fob to unlock the driver's door.
- Remove the key from the ignition. Especially if the battery is dead, do not leave the key in the ignition.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard and open the hood.
- Locate the battery in the engine bay. If the battery has a plastic cover on top, remove it.
- Connect the red clamp from your charger to the positive (+) battery terminal.
- Connect the black clamp from your charger to the frame, ground point, engine block. Do not connect it directly to the negative battery terminal.
- Set charger to 12-volt setting and ampere rating between 2A and 16A. The higher the ampere rating, the faster your Toyota battery will charge.
- Plug your battery charger into a wall outlet.
Monitor the battery housing temperature. Disconnect the charger if the battery starts to overheat. Do not leave your Toyota unattended while the battery is charging.
Charging a dead Toyota battery can take several hours. Do not leave the vehicle unattended while the battery is charging.