The 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that joined the VW lineup for 2016 and is code-named EA211. This new small-displacement powertrain will offer a significant power boost for the base Jetta, along with an estimated 39 mpg highway.
What you will need
- Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Engine Oil (5 quarts)
- Engine Oil Specification: VW 508 00
- Recommended viscosity may vary depending on the climate. See owners manual.
- VW 1.4T Engine Oil Filter
- You can find the right one by calling a local auto parts store, telling them the model year of your car and what engine it has, and they can find you the right one.
- Make sure it includes a crush washer.
- Park the vehicle on level ground. Set the parking brakes and allow the engine to cool down.
- Jack the car up and place a jack stand underneath the car to support the frame. Do not get under the vehicle that is supported only with jack stands. The vehicle must be supported with jack stands.
- To adhere to EPA environment safety standards, prepare a catch pan to catch the old oil from the engine.
- Drain the oil by opening the drain bolt at the back of the oil pan using a 19mm socket wrench and turn it counter-clockwise.
- Gently remove the drain bolt by hand, taking precautions not to drop it in the catch pan.
- Let the old oil drain into the catch pan until no more oil is flowing down.
- Replace the copper washer on the drain bolt. Reinstall and tighten the drain bolt.
- You can access and remove the oil filter by removing a portion of the splash shield by taking out the screw.
Or you can reach out at the back of the splash shield and take out the oil filter.
- Remove the oil filter by turning it counterclockwise by hand or by oil filter tool.
- Clean up the oil filter area by using a paper towel.
- Prepare the new filter and lubricate it with new oil.
- Install the new oil filter by hand and fasten it using a two-quarter turn once it hits the gasket.
- If you removed the splash shield, snap it into its matching groves and tabs until you hear a click, then reinstall screws.
- Open the hood, secure it open and remove the oil filler cap at the top of the engine.
- Use a funnel to refill with the new oil. Check the manufacturer's recommendations regarding the type and quantity of oil for your engine.
- Pull the dipstick and clean, then reinsert check the oil level. It should be near the top of the dipstick maximum marker.
- Reinstall the filler cap.
- Remove the jack stands. Lower the car and start the engine. Allow the engine to run for fifteen minutes and check for oil leaks and recheck the oil level.
Engine Oil Capacity
According to a 2016 Volkswagen Jetta owner's manual, the oil capacity is 4.2 quarts (4.0 liters) for the VW 1.4T engine.
Recommended engine oil for Volkswagen 1.4T engine should have a viscosity grade of SAE 5W-40. Or SAE 5W-30. You can use this oil for normal driving at all temperatures. The oil must meet ACEA A3 specifications.
Oil Change Interval
The recommended oil change interval for VW Jetta equipped with the 1.4L Turbo engine is 10,000 miles according to the owner's manual.
- Filter cap: 25Nm (18 ft-lb)
- Drain plug: 30Nm (22 ft-lb)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the interval of changing the oil on a Jetta?
- It is recommended that you change the oil every 10,000 miles. This interval may vary depending on the driving conditions and oil type used. Check your owner's manual
How much does it take to perform a change oil on a VW Jetta?
- The cost for an oil change for the VW Jetta 1.4 is estimated at $63 - $97. Part is estimated at $38-$39. The labor cost is around $25-$29.
Can you drive a VW Jetta with an overdue oil change?
- It is recommended to stick to the manufacturer's suggested interval to avoid engine wear.
How to Reset the Oil Service Reminder
- Switch off the ignition.
- Find and hold the “0.0” button below the instrument cluster.
- Switch on the ignition.
- Release the 0.0 button.
- The following messages will appear in the display: “Reset oil change service?” followed by, “Do you really want to reset inspection?”
- When you see the message for the interval you want to reset, confirm the request by pressing the 0.0 button again.
- A confirmation message will display.