On Volkswagen models especially, it is not as clear on how to replace these bulbs. It makes it difficult for the average person to perform this task, and oftentimes people resort to taking their vehicle to a mechanic. Follow this guide and you will be able to tackle this bulb replacement on your own saving time and money.
What you will need
- Open the hood. First, pull the hood release under the dashboard, driver's side. Next, go to the front of the vehicle, pull the lever, and lift up the hood.
- Locate which side the faulty bulb is on. Remember the driver's side is left and the passenger's side is right.
- The parking light is on the bottom of the headlight. It has a plastic cover on the headlight that must be removed first. Remove it by turning it counterclockwise.
- Now the connector holding the bulb will be exposed. Turn this connector counterclockwise and pull it out of the headlamp to get access to the bulb.
- Remove the old bulb by holding the connector with one hand and pressing down on the bulb and turning counterclockwise. Pull the bulb out and remove it.
- Replace the old bulb with the new one. NOTE: It is important the glass of the new bulb is not touched by hand, use a clean glove or towel to put it in. Any grease or oil from hands will lead to premature failure of the bulb by causing a hot spot in it.
- Put the connector back in the headlight assembly being careful not to hit the bulb on anything. Turn the connector clockwise once it is back in the headlight fixture. Give it a wiggle to make sure it is secure.
- Place the parking light cover back on and turn it clockwise to secure it.
- Be sure to test the parking lots and make sure they are now fully functioning.
- Once the lights are now working, close the hood, you're done!
Help I replaced my bulbs and only one side of my parking lights is working! What is wrong?
If the parking lights were not working and the bulbs were replaced and they are still not working this may be caused by a deeper electrical issue. Start by checking the fuses that go to the parking lamps. If the fuses are good, some electrical work may be needed.
Check to see if power is going to the headlight switch and out to the parking lamps that are bad. It could be a bad headlight switch.
What parking light bulb do I need for my car?
Most places that sell automotive bulbs will be able to look them up for you. Alternatively, if there is no one to look them up a catalog with makes and models of vehicles and their corresponding bulb numbers will be available.
Looking up a vehicle's year make and model online with the bulb needed will also usually yield the right results. If all else fails call the dealership for a part number or take the vehicle to a shop.