If your Audi key fob battery dies or is weak, you will not lock or unlock the car. The Start/Stop button will also not work.
You will get a warning on your dashboard that displays a key and battery symbol on the newer Audis. To fix these problems, change the battery on your Audi key fob.
How to change the battery on an Audi key fob
- Use a flat screwdriver to separate the case into two halves.
- The battery is inside the case that does NOT have the flip metal key.
- Use the screwdriver again to separate the shell.
- Remove the CR1620 button cell battery. Pay attention to the positive side of the battery.
- Press the new battery in the housing.
- Press the shell together until you hear it snap.
- Press the two halves together, and you are done changing your Audi key battery.
- If the lock/unlock feature does not work after you change the battery, insert the key into the driver's door. Turn the key to lock and unlock position to make the car recognize your key fob. Remove the key fob from the door and press unlock.
Battery Size: CR1620 (ONE)
How to change the battery on Audi smart keyless entry remote?
This key fob is used in many Audi cars since 2008, including A Q R S TT models. If your Audi key fob battery is too weak or dead, it will prevent you from starting the car using the Start/Stop button.
- Use your thumb to press on the key release found in the chrome part of the key.
- Pull the metal key blade from the shell.
- Press the exposed plastic with your thumb and pull it out of the shell.
- Remove the battery from your Audi key fob. Pay attention to the positive side of the battery.
- Install a new battery into your Audi key fob. The positive should be facing the plastic side.
- Press the battery holder and the metal key into the shell.
Battery Size: CR2032 (One)
Audi Remote Battery Replacement
- Flip the metal key open.
- Use a small screwdriver to press the back cover of the key.
- Pry out the back cover at the end of the keyfob.
- The battery is inserted into the back cover. Pry it out and pay attention to the orientation of the positive side of the battery.
- Press the new battery on the back cover.
- Press the back cover into the Audi key fob.
Battery Size: CR2032 (ONE)
We hope that these videos and step-by-step instructions helped you learn how to change the battery on any Audi key fob remote.
Over the years, Audi has come out with a few different key designs.
These instructions were written to help owners change the key fob battery on Audi models such as the A3, S3, RS3, A4, S4, A5, S5, A6, S6, A7, S7, RS7, A8, S8, Q3, Q5, SQ5, Q7, TT, and R8.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the dealer need to program the key?
No. The key will work, and no programming is required after you change the battery. If your Audi key fob does not work after you change the battery, try the following:
Open the Audi using the metal key. Next, press the unlock button on the remote. Enter the vehicle and insert the key into the ignition. Lastly, remove the key from the ignition.
If the key synchronization procedure does not work, open the key and make sure the battery's positive (+) side is on the correct side.
Can I change the shell of the Audi key fob?
Yes. If your Audi key fob is damaged or the shell is broken, you can consider replacing just the shell. New Audi key shells can be purchased online.
Is Audi key battery rechargeable?
No. Audi does NOT use rechargeable batteries in their key fobs. It is ok to use a rechargeable battery. Remember that you will need to remove and charge the battery or replace it once the battery dies.
My Audi key does not work after changing the battery.
Open the key again and make sure the battery is installed the right way. Check that the positive (+) side of the battery is installed on the required side.