If your BMW is showing a Chassis Drive Moderately warning message on the dashboard, don't panic.
In this guide, you will learn about common problems that trigger warnings such as Chassis Stabilization malfunction, chassis drive moderately, and chassis function restricted - possible to continue the journey. Depending on the BMW model, the wording for chassis malfunction may vary slightly.
When Chassis Drive Moderalty error message comes up, your BMW may appear to drive fine, or it may show one of these symptoms:
- Reduces engine power
- Check engine light comes on.
- BMW may go in limp mode
- Vehicle speed limited
- The engine may shake, cabin vibrates.
- Parking Brake Limited message
- Yellow DSC Light On
What does Chassis Stabilization Malfunction mean on a BMW?
Chassis drive moderately is a generic error code, and without reading the codes, it is hard to know what caused the problem.
While many issues can trigger BMW Chasis Drive Moderately warning, the most common cause is problems with the Dynamic Handling Package (DHP).
When Chassis Drive Moderately comes up, there may be a problem with the:
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)
- the suspension,
Depending on this message's cause, the BMW may go in limp mode, power will be limited, and transmission may no longer shift.
It is common to get a Chasis Drive Moderately warning message when you change driving modes quickly repeatedly — for example, switching between Eco Pro to Sport and then turning it back to Eco Pro.
If you get the warning message when you switch driving models, there is a high chance you have a problem with the adaptive suspension.
What to do when you get Chassis Malfunction on a BMW?
Pullover when it is safe to do so and park in a secure area.
- Turn off the engine and the ignition.
- Wait five minutes.
- Restart the car.
In most cases, this will temporarily reset the warming light.
Drive the vehicle carefully. Avoid hard acceleration.
Have your car diagnosed by a mechanic or read the fault codes from the DME module. See the instructions in the next section.
How to Diagnose Chasis Drive Moderately
To find out what is wrong with your BMW, use a BMW scanner to read fault codes via the OBD-II port under the dashboard. Generic OBD-II scanners may show no fault codes even when a fault is present.
- Locate the diagnostic port under the dashboard.
- Plug your BMW scanner.
- Turn on the ignition. If you have a start/stop button, press it twice without touching the brake pedal.
- Turn on the scanner and select your BMW chassis.
- Select the auto-scan option to perform a complete system check. If an auto-scan is not available, then read fault codes from DME and EGS modules.
- Write down all fault codes that show as PRESENT or CURRENT.
Reading the codes is only the starting point for diagnosing chassis problems. You should be able to have a better idea of which system is malfunctioning.
For more help, follow this guide on how to read BMW codes.
Most likely issues that can cause Chassis Stabilization Malfunction error include:
- DSC module and pump,
- Wheel speed sensor,
- Wiring harness,
- Brake light switch,
- Weak battery,
Less likely problems that can cause Chassis Stabilization Malfunction:
- Fuel injectors
- Bad fuel
- EDC sensor may need calibration
- Internal transmission fault
- Low/high battery voltage
- Engine misfire
- Faulty oxygen sensor
- Bad mass airflow sensor
- Clogged catalytic converter
- Faulty fuel pump
- Dirty fuel filter
- Faulty accelerator pedal
- Faulty acceleration sensor for DHP
- Adaptive suspension issues
- ICM VDC Control Module Problem
- Damaged wheel bearing
To diagnose chassis drive moderately problems, you need to read fault codes.
Related warning messages
Here is a list of possible and related warning messages:
- Chassis Drive Moderately. Consult service center.
- Chassis Stabilization, drive moderately. Cibsykt bearest service center,
- Chassis function restricted, drive moderately.
- Chassis stabilization malfunction (DCC and xDrive malfunction)
- Chassis stabilization malfunction and DBC malfunction! Drive carefully
- Chassis function restricted
- Chassis: continue. Driving possible
- Chassis Continue the journey at a moderate speed. Have the problem checked by service.