What is the BMW SZM switch?
Steering column adjustment is on the left-hand side of the steering column.
SZM is the BMW term for Centre Console Switch Cluster. When the driver adjusts, the steering column signal is sent to the steering column switch cluster (SZL), which controls the steering column motor.
If your BMW SZM module fails, you may notice that you can no longer adjust the steering wheel.
Diagnose BMW SZM switch problems
If you are experiencing problems, a good starting point is to read fault codes from the SZM module.
What you will need
For this step, you will need a diagnostic scanner that is capable of reading, clearing codes from the BMW SZM module.
- Plugin the OBD-II scanner into the diagnostic port under the dashboard.
- Turn on the ignition; don't start the engine.
- Turn on the scanner and select your BMW chassis. Next, Select the Control Units menu.
- Select the SZM Module.
- Once you enter the SZM module, you will be able to do the following.
- Read Codes from SZM Module
- Clear Codes from SZM Module
- Perform Adaptations, Activations, Tests
- If any code shows PRESENT status, the problem needs to be fixed before the code can be cleared.
- Note that the SZM is connected to the IHR/IHKR/IHKA control unit via a 14-pin connector.
- When purchasing a BMW scanner, verify that the supports your BMW model and year.