This page contains a BMW vin decoder and also a list of websites that provide free BMW decoders.
Decoding a VIN allows you to obtain:
Where can I find the VIN number?
BMW VIN Decoder Websites
A BMW VIN Decoder that shows you everything that was installed on your BMW. You can see specs such as manufacture date, engine, transmission type, paint code, upholstery code, installed factory options and a lot more. Make sure to answer the image captcha, or you won't get any results.
BMW VIN Decoder
One of the best BMW VIN decoders out there. You can look up all the options and features installed on any BMW by entering the VIN. This is a complete BMW VIN decoder which shows the same specs that you would get from a BMW dealer. Definitively our favorite free BMW VIN decoders.
Not as comprehensive as the other BMW VIN number decoders in this list but still an alternative. Here you can see the model, engine, year, transmission, front or rear wheel drive weather the BMW has technology or premium package, base MSRP, and BMW invoice. Body color, engine type, and interior color can also be looked up. In addition, you will be able to find any campaigns that may affect your BMW by entering the VIN number.
This BMW VIN number decoder is less known, but it provides complete information on BMW VINs so we thought we needed to include it on this list. You can see the results in English, French, German, Spanish, Russian. It shows all the standard equipment and also custom options added to the BMW. Shows the engine, transmission, model, year as well similar to the other BMW decoders we listed.
BMW Decoder VIN
DecoderVIN.pl is a free and clean website that allows you to decode BMW VIN numbers. It shows options such as the engine, transmission, specs and factory installed options.
How to decode BMW VIN number
Position 1 - Country
The first position in the VIN shows the country where the BMW was assembled. This is W for Germany. If your BMW was manufactured in US, your BMW VIN number will start with 5.
- W- Germany
- 5 - USA
Position 2 - Manufacturer
This number tells you about the manufacturer of your car.
- B - BMW manufactured in Germany
- U or Y - BMW manufactured in US
Position 3 - Division
Is provides information on the division. If the manufacturer has multiple divisions, this number helps pinpoint which one produced your car. BMW VIN will typically have X or A.
Position 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 VDS
Codes for BMW engine, transmission and vehicle specs.
Position 9 - Check Number
This is used to verify if the VIN number is valid. This number is generated by a formula developed by the DOT.
Position 10 - Year of Production
Position 11 - Factory
This indicates the plant where the vehicle was assembled. BMW has its own specific codes as follows:
- A, F, K - Munich (Germany)
- B, C, D, G - Dingolfing (Germany),
- E, J, P - Regensburg (Germany)
- H, N - Rosslyn, South Africa
- L, M - Spartanburg (USA)
- R - Toluca Mexico
- S - Shenyang, China
- T - Oxford, England (Mini)
- U - Goodwood, UK (Rolls-Royce)
- V - Leipzig (Germany)
- W - Magna Steyr, Graz (Austria)
- X, Y, Z - Berlin Germany
Position 12 -17
Position twelve through seventeen show the serial number of the car. Often indicates a sequence that helps the manufacturer when and where the car came off the assembly line. MAKE is allowed to choose any six-digit number they like as this number is not standardized.
BMW VIN Number Location
BMW cars have the VIN number stamped in several locations. Here is where you can find the VIN number of your BMW.
- Lower left corner of the windshield.
- Stamped on the top of the front suspension strut housing.
- Rear trunk or by the wheel well.
- Engine bay
- Your title or registration.
- 1 -series
5. Example MAKE VIN Number
Information provided below is based on the details provided by the manufacturer of this vehicle to NHTSA in the part 565 submittal
- 1st Row (Driver & Passenger)
- 1st Row (Driver & Passenger)
- 1st Row (Driver & Passenger)
- 1st & 2nd Rows
- Pretensioners for Driver and Front Passenger.
6. Options and Feature Codes
- S1CBA CO2 equipment (CO2 UMFANG)
- S2LPA BMW LA wheel Y-spoke 380 (17" LM RAEDER Y-SPEICHE 380)
- S216A HYDRO STEERING-SERVOTRONIC (SERVOTRONIC)
- S249A Multifunction f steering wheel (MULTIFUNKTION FUER LENKRAD)
- S255 ASports leather steering wheel (SPORT-LEDERLENKRAD)
- S258 ATyres with runflat properties (BEREIFUNG MIT NOTLAUFEIGENSCHAFTEN)
- S4AEA Armrest front, retractable (ARMAUFLAGE VORNE VERSCHIEBBAR)
- S4NEA Blow-by heater (BLOW-BY-HEIZER)
- S5DSA Emergency release, luggage compartment (KOFFERRAUMNOTENTRIEGELUNG)
- S520A Fog lights (NEBELSCHEINWERFER)
- S544A Cruise control with brake function (GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGEL. MIT BREMSF.)
- S645A BMW US Radio (RADIO-STEUERUNG US)
- S663A Radio BMW Professional (RADIO BMW PROFESSIONAL)
- S823A Hot-climate version (HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG)
- S842A Cold-climate version (KALTLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG)
- S845A Acoustic fasten seat belt reminder (AKUSTISCHE GURTWARNUNG)
- S853A Language version, English (SPRACHVERSION ENGLISCH)
- S992A Control of number-plate attachment (STEUERUNG KENNZEICHENBEFESTIGUNG)
- S993A model year code in VIN (MODELLJAHRESCODE)
- Custom options
- Parameter Value
- S1CAA Selection of COP-relevant vehicles (SELEKTION COP RELEVANTER FAHRZEUGE)
- S2TBA Sport automatic gearbox (SPORT-AUTOMATIK GETRIEBE)
- S2VBA Tyre pressure display (REIFENDRUCKANZEIGE)
- S3DZA Omission of additional lettering, outer (ENTFALL ZUSATZ-SCHRIFTZUG AUSSEN)
- S302A Alarm system (ALARMANLAGE)
- S319A Integrated universal remote control (INTEGRIERTE UNIVERSAL-FERNBEDIENUNG)
- S322A Comfort access (KOMFORTZUGANG)
- S346A Chrome Line exterieur (CHROME LINE EXTERIEUR)
- S387A Wind deflector (WINDSCHUTZ)
- S4LVA black high-gloss accent korall-rot (INT.L.SCHW.HOCHGL.M.AKZENT.L. KORAL)
- S423A Floor mats velours (FUSSMATTEN IN VELOURS)
- S430A Interior/outside mirror with auto dip (INNEN-/AUSSENSPIEGEL AUT.ABBLENDEND)
- S431A Interior mirror with automatic-dip (INNENSPIEGEL,AUTOMATISCH ABBLENDEND)
- S441A Smoker package (RAUCHERPAKET)
- S459A Seat adjustment, electric, with memory (SITZVERSTELLUNG, ELEKTR.MIT MEMORY)
- S465A Through-loading system (DURCHLADESYSTEM)
- S481A Sports seat (SPORTSITZE FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER)
- S488A Lumbar support, driver and passenger (LORDOSENSTUETZE FAHRER/BEIFAHRER)
- S493A Storage compartment package (ABLAGENPAKET)
- S494A Seat heating driver/passenger (SITZHEIZUNG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER)
- S521A Rain sensor (REGENSENSOR)
- S534A Automatic air conditioning (KLIMAAUTOMATIK)
- S563A Light package (LICHTPAKET)
- S6ACA Intelligent emergency call (INTELLIGENTER NOTRUF)
- S6AEA Teleservices (TELESERVICES)
- S6NHA Hands-free system with USB interface (FREISPRECHEIN. M. USB-SCHNITTSTELLE)
- S655A Satellite tuner (SATELLITENTUNER)
- S676A HiFi speaker system (HIFI LAUTSPRECHERSYSTEM)
- S697A Area-Code 1 for DVD (AREA-CODE 1)
- P7ACA Sport Line (SPORT LINE)
- S8KLA Oil service interval 15,000 km/12 months (OELWARTUNGSINT. 15.000KM/12MONATE)
- S8TNA Daytime driv.lights adjus.via light menu (TAGFAHRLICHT UEBER LICHTMENUE EINST)
- S9AAA Outer skin protection (AUSSENHAUTSCHUTZ)
- S925A Dummy-SALAPA (VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET)
💡 Help us improve this article by providing feedback. No registration is required.
💭 Ask car questions in our Car Forum.