Replacing your damaged Buick liftgate taillight assembly is easy; you may follow the procedures to save on repairs.
What you will need
- Open the liftgate to remove the plastic trims that conceal the inner taillight assembly retaining screws. Press the touchpad under the Buick emblem. You can also open the tailgate by pressing the release mechanism on the tailgate handle. There is also a release button on the driver's console. And finally, you can open the tailgate using the key fob.
- Pry off the upper plastic trim using a plastic trim remover to release the clips that hold the trim in place.
- Find the inner liftgate handle. This is the handle that you use when you are shutting the tailgate. You can find a small plastic cover that conceals the only screw that supports the lower door trim panel. Twist off the cover and unscrew the single screw with a Philips screwdriver.
- Using the plastic trim remover, pry the lower door trim panel on every side until it comes off.
- Remove nine 7mm nuts that hold the outer chrome trim. These nuts can be accessed from the inner side of the liftgate. Some nuts would be hidden by a rubber cover; you have to use a small flathead screwdriver to uncover those. Using a 7mm socket and a handle of your choice, turn the handle counterclockwise to loosen and remove the nuts.
- Disconnect the three electrical connectors, one will be colored white, and the remaining two would be black. To disconnect the white connector, press the side tabs, then pull the connector off. Disconnect the black connector with the red tab, press the red tab and then pull the connector off. To disconnect the other black connector (liftgate tail light connector), press the tabs, then pull the connector off.
- Lower the liftgate and pull off the outer chrome trim.
- If you will remove the left taillight assembly, pull off the tail light from the right side. If you are removing the right tail light, pull off the tail light from the left side.
- You can now install the new liftgate taillight.
- Install the new liftgate tail light, install the taillight, install the side on the edge of the tailgate first, lock the tabs, and install the other end.
- Connect the outer chrome trim then, reinstall all the retaining nuts.
- Reconnect all the electrical connectors.
- Install the inner bottom plastic trim by pushing it until it locks.
- Reconnect the handle and install the screw.
- Reinstall the upper inner plastic trim the same way as the bottom trim.
You are done.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to replace a tail light assembly?
- If you go to a dealership or auto body shop for your new tail light assembly, you will pay anywhere between $400 to $550 for each assembly. You can replace a Buick Enclave with a used tail light for about $100-$150.
How long does it take to replace taillight?
- Fortunately, tail light bulb replacement isn't difficult and shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes to an hour to complete.
Can a police officer lawfully pull me over for having a broken taillight?
- Yes, you can get pulled over for having a broken taillight. Any driving infraction that can be seen as a possible danger, such as having a broken or burned-out taillight, is a reasonable cause for a traffic stop. This is obviously frustrating and inconvenient for drivers, but there are some safety concerns behind it. If the other taillight were to become broken or burned-out, the drivers behind you would have a hard time seeing you in the dark, and you could be held liable for an accident.