What you will need
- Put the transmission in Park and set the parking brakes.
- Allow the engine to cool down.
- Open the hood by pulling the hood release under the dashboard.
- Locate the engine air filter on the driver's side of the engine. Open the airbox housing by unclipping the clamps.
- Push up then back the top part of the airbox.
- Remove the air filter by pulling it forward.
- Prepare a new air filter by lining it properly.
- Insert the new air filter inside the airbox.
- Close the clamps on the air filter housing. If the clamps do not close, the filter is not seated properly.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long will a Hyundai Sonata air filter last?
- Your Hyundai Sonata service manual states you should replace your engine air filter & cabin air filter every 10,000 miles.
What will happen if you did not change the engine air filter?
- When the air filter gets too dirty, it will get clogged, and the engine won't be able to suck up enough air to the combustion chamber. While this rarely results in permanent damage, neglecting the air filter for long enough may cause the engine to stop running completely. Check engine may come on and fuel economy will decrease significantly. You will also notice poor acceleration.