The car's brake system is one of the most important parts of the car.
Brake fluid may be low if the brake pads are worn and are the minimum. If there is a brake fluid leak, the vehicle should not be driven. You must consult an auto mechanic if you have a brake fluid leak.
What you will need
- DOT4 Brake fluid - Do not use brake fluid from an open container.
- Park vehicle on level ground. Set the parking brakes and open the hood by pulling the hood release under the dashboard.
- Find the location of the brake fluid reservoir.
- Check the brake fluid level. It should be between the minimum and maximum levels.
- Check the type of fluid recommended on the vehicle by looking at the label on top of the reservoir cap.
- Open the reservoir cap and fill up the brake fluid reservoir with the recommended type to the maximum level. Do not fill up to the cap.
- Close the reservoir cap.
Most vehicles are equipped with a hydraulic brake system that multiplies the force that the drivers apply on the brake components to ensure maximum stopping power.
A hydraulic brake system is powered by brake fluid. Once the brake fluid is lost or the fluid is partially displaced by air, the vehicle's stopping power is lost. That is why it is necessary to ensure that your car's brake fluid level would never reach below minimum.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will brakes work without brake fluid?
- Absolutely not! Brake fluid is the force transferring the “middle man” between your brake pedal and your brakes. The pressure you apply with your pedal is carried through the fluid in the brake lines to push against the pads. Without this fluid, your brakes won't work.
How often should you replace brake fluid?
- It's safe to say that you should change your brake fluid every 2 years across the board.