How to get Subaru out of Park
Is your Subaru stuck in park? This video shows you how to use the shift lock release to get a Subaru out of park. This will allow you to move the shifter out of Park and drive. This works on Subaru Impreza, Outback, Crosstrek, Forester.
- Set the parking brake so that your Subaru won't roll or move when you move the shifter out of Park.
- Remove the small plastic cover on top of the shifter release. This will expose the shifter release.
- Insert a screwdriver in the shift lock release and move the shifter out of Park.
These instructions are from a 2012 Subaru Impreza but you can use the shift lock release on Crosstrek, Forester, Outback as well.
Subaru Stuck in Park Common Problems
Here are some common problems that can cause a Subaru to get stuck in Park.
- Brake light Switch - A common problem that will prevent your Subaru shifter to move out of Park. Easy inexpensive fix.
- Shifter - Shifter release mechanism or the shifter itself may be broken.
- Shifter Interlock - On older models equipped with cable that runs from the brake pedal to the shifter to prevent one from moving the car without pressing the brake pedal.
can't get subaru out of park
subaru crosstrek stuck in park
subaru impreza shift lock release
my subaru wont shift outta park
subaru outback won't shift into park
subaru forester won't move
2000 subaru forester won t go into drive
1993 subaru impreza will not shift out of park
💡 Help us improve this article by providing feedback. No registration is required.
💭 Ask car questions in our Car Forum.