What you will need
- Straighten the front wheel so that they point forward and the steering wheel is in the center.
- Park the vehicle and turn off the engine. Remove the key from the ignition.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard and open the hood.
- Locate the battery and disconnect the negative battery terminal (-).
- Wait for fifteen minutes before proceeding to the next step.
- Use the T-25 Torx to remove the two bolts on each side of the steering wheel.
- Use a flat screwdriver to remove the access panel cover on the bottom side of the steering wheel.
- Disconnect the yellow airbag wire. Pull down on the black part to unlock the connector first.
- Disconnect the single wire that powers the horn.
- Carefully remove the airbag from the steering wheel. Handle the airbag with care and always keep the airbag two feet away from the body as you move or transport it.
- Reinstall the airbag in reverse order.
If your Honda Civic airbag is deployed during an accident, not only do you need to replace the driver airbag, but you will also need to clear the airbag light using an SRS OBD2 Scanner.
In some cases, you may even need to remove the airbag module and send it to a third party to perform SRS Module Reset Service (eBay link), which is often required if hard codes are stored in the airbag module which can't be cleared with an airbag scanner.