What you will need
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Loosen the alternator bolts. There is a 12 mm and 14 mm bolt that needs to be loosened. You don't need to remove these bolts completely.
- Once the bolts are loosened, the alternator can be pushed downwards, which will loosen the serpentine belt.
- Remove the serpentine/drive belt from the pulleys.
- Install the serpentine belt in reverse order. Ensure that the belt is routed properly and that the belt is sitting correctly in all the pulleys.
The serpentine belt is also called the drive belt, poly v-ribbed belt, or accessory belt.
In this Hyundai Elantra, the serpentine belt drives the alternator, A/C compressor, and water pump. You will need to loosen up the alternator bolts to remove and replace the serpentine belt.