In this article, you will find step-by-step instructions with photos on how to replace the tail light assembly on the Hyundai Sonata model years 2011-2015.
What you will need
- Open the trunk.
Remove the trunk panel cover by using a Philips screwdriver to detach plastic retaining screws gently.
- To remove the taillight assembly, use a 10mm socket to loosen and remove retaining nuts from the side of the trunk and inside the trunk panel.
- Disconnect electrical connection from the taillight assembly.
- Push taillight assembly from inside the trunk panel to remove it. Or grab the taillight assembly from outside the trunk, then pull.
- View of taillight assembly.
- Prepare the new taillight assembly.
- Install the taillight assembly from outside the trunk, then push it in to fit on the trunk.
- Install retaining nuts.
- Reconnect electrical connector.
- Reconnect trunk panel cover.
- Secure trunk panel cover by re-installing plastic retainers.
Frequently Asked Questions
When will you replace your taillight assembly?
- You will only need to replace your taillight assembly when it has cracks or completely broken.
Can you drive a car with a broken taillight assembly?
- It's illegal to drive with a broken taillight bulb, so you will need to replace it before going back on the road.