Mazda Mass Air Flow Sensor Cost, Symptoms, Replacement
When the mass air flow (MAF) sensor on a Mazda fails, the check engine light will turn on, and you will notice several performance issues.
In this guide, you will learn what symptoms you may notice when the mass airflow sensor fails, how to replace the mass air flow sensor on a Mazda and answers to FAQ.
Here is a list of possible symptoms that you may notice from a bad mass airflow sensor on a Mazda.
- Engine Stalls
- Poor Acceleration
- Check Engine Light on
- Engine Surge
- Car Jolts
Replacing the mass air flow sensor on a Mazda is very easy and will take a DIYers less than 30min.
At the dealer, it will cost anywhere from $250 and up to change the MAF sensor on a Mazda.
Replace the MAF sensor yourself and save over $200. It is one of the easiest jobs you can perform on a Mazda.
If you know how to use a screwdriver, you know how to change a Mazda mass air flow sensor.
How to replace the mass air flow sensor on a Mazda
Step by step instructions on how to change the mass airflow sensor on a Mazda.
These instructions include pictures and video clips to help you with this Mazda DIY repair.
What you will need
- Mazda Air Flow Sensor
- Mechanic Toolset
- The MAF sensor on a Mazda 3, 5, 6 CX5, CX7 CX9 is held in place with two bolts or in some cases screws.
Let the engine cool down. Next, open the hood of your Mazda.
Locate mass air flow sensor
Locate the mass air flow sensor on your Mazda 5 The sensor is located near the engine air filter housing
Unplug the wire harness
Next, unplug the electrical connector from your Mazda mass air flow sensor.
Remove Mazda MAF Sensor
Remove the screws that hold the mass air flow sensor in place.
Install new MAF on Mazda
Install the new MAF on your Mazda. Tight the screws so that they are snug. Plug the electrical connector until it locks in place.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are Mazda Mass Air Flow Sensor Codes?
Possible fault codes that may be triggered by a bad mass flow sensor on a Mazda.
- P0101 MAZDA Mass Air Flow Sensor Inconsistent with Throttle
- P0102 MAZDA Mass Air Flow Circuit Low Input
- P1100 MAZDA Mass Air Flow Sensor Intermittent
- P0100 MAZDA Mass Air Flow Sensor Signal Out Of Range
- P0103 MAZDA Mass Air Flow Sensor High Input Signal
- P0171 MAZDA Lean Air/Fuel Ratio Bank 1
- P0172..System too Rich (Bank 1)
- P0173...Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 2)
- P0174..System too Lean (Bank 2)
- P0175..System too Rich (Bank 2)
How much does it cost to change the mass air flow sensor on a Mazda?
- To change the mass air flow on a Mazda at the dealership can cost anywhere from $250 to $350 including the parts and labor on a four cylinder Mazda engine.
- On September 7, 2017, we called a Mazda dealer in Pasadena Maryland to get a quote to replace the mass air flow sensor on a 2015 Mazda 3. Here is the cost to change the MAF at the dealer:
- MAF Sensor: $228 plus tax
- Labor: $61
If your Mazda has been diagnosed with a bad mass air flow sensor don't worry. If you have a few minutes and a screwdriver you can replace the MAF sensor on a Mazda yourself.
💡 Help us improve this article by providing feedback. No registration is required.
💭 Ask car questions in our Car Forum.