In this guide, we go over the steps on how to replace the rear airbag on Mercedes-Benz ML-Class (W164), GL-Class (X164), and W251 (R-Class).
What you will need
How to change Mercedes X164 / W251 Rear Suspension Air Bag
- Park the vehicle on level ground and set the parking brakes.
- Loosen the lug nuts for the rear wheel but do not remove the lug nuts yet.
- Jack up the vehicle and secure it with jack stands.
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove the air line nut of the back of the airbag.
- Use a flathead screwdriver to pry down the airbag.
- Lift the airbag and pull it out of the vehicle.
- Remove the white plastic piece at the frame by turning it counterclockwise. Install the new white plastic. If the black O ring from the old air strut is stuck on the white pice, remove and discard it. The new airbag will have the black O ring installed in it.
- Install the new airbag and push it up to lock it on the white plastic piece.
- Replace and reinstall the air line nut. Inspect the rubber o-ring on the nut. Do not overtighten the copper nut.
- Install the wheel and slowly lower the vehicle.
- Startup the engine and allow it to rise. This can take up to 5 minutes.
While in most cases, the vehicle will raise up and level on its own, we had to use a Mercedes-Benz OBD-II Scanner to raise up the rear and level the vehicle.
- W164 ML320 ML350 ML450 ML550,
- X164 GL320 GL350 GL450 GL550,
- W251 A251 R320 R350 R550 R500 R63 AMG
Applicable mainly to 2006 to 2012 model years.
- A 251 320 04 25
- A 251 320 03 25