What you will need
How to change engine oil on a Sprinter
- Before doing anything else, make sure that your Sprinter is parked somewhere stable, the parking brake is on, and the engine is cool to avoid getting burned.
- After that, put on your gloves and locate the oil pan on the underside of the van. Look for the 13 mm bolt on the side of the oil pan and place your draining container below it. Use your 13mm socket ratchet to unscrew the bolt. Remove the oil drain plug.Make sure you don't drop the bolt and/or the washer in the container as you pull it out. Allow the oil to drain completely. Inspect the washer and replace it.
- To access the filter compartment easily, it's best to remove the air intake first, for which you won't need any tools.
- Now unscrew the filter cap using your oil filter pliers or filter wrench. Pull out the filter housing along with the filter by hand.
Place a spare rag under the filter housing as you pull it out to avoid any mess that the dripping oil might cause.
- Remove the filter and the two O rings on the housing (1 on the base near the cap 1 on the tip). This is a good time to inspect your filter for anything unusual (metal shavings etc.). Place the new filter inside the housing and press-fit the new O rings onto the housing by hand.
- Now screw the filter housing back in place, screw it a few times by hand, and then tighten it using the oil filter wrench until the filter is flush with the housing. Put the air intake back in place if you removed it.
- By now, the oil will have drained, screw the oil pan bolt back into place & remove the draining container below.
Use a torque wrench to tighten the Sprinter drain plug bolt to 30 Nm (22 ft-lb).
- Add engine oil. Sprinters use MB 229.52 spec oil but check your owner™s manual to be sure. You™ll need 12.5 quarts (‰ˆ 12.5 Liters) of this oil. Unscrew the oil filling spout cap.Place your funnel inside & pour the oil in.Once filled, remove the funnel and screw the spout cap back on.
- Now check the oil level using the dipstick.It might look low as the oil is low; in that case, wait a few minutes and recheck the level.
- Dispose of the old oil and the gloves someplace safe. You can dispose of the used oil at gas stations or your local auto parts store.
Sprinter Engine Oil Capacity
- 5 Cylinder Diesel: 10 qt
- 4 Cylinder Diesel: 13 qt
- 6 Cylinder Diesel: 14 qt
What is the recommended Oil Change Interval for a Sprinter?
It is recommended to change the oil every 10,000 miles (16,000 km).
According to the owner's manual in 2009 and newer Sprinter A Service is recommended every 20,000.