In this guide, you will learn how to replace turbo intake pipes on a Mercedes-Benz M278 engine.
- Poor acceleration
- Too much exhaust smoke
- Check engine light on
What you will need
- Park vehicle on level ground and set the parking brakes.
- Allow the engine to cool down.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard and open the hood.
Remove top turbo pipe (air filter to turbo) by using a screwdriver to loosen upper clamp retaining screws.
- Loosen the lower retaining clamp by using a screwdriver, once lose you may pull the pipe.
- Remove the lower turbo pipe (turbo to intake manifold) by using a screwdriver to loosen the pipe's upper retaining screws.
- Loosen the lower retaining clamp by using a screwdriver, once loose pull the pipe forward to remove it.
- Install the lower turbo pipe by loosening the lower clamp using a screwdriver.
Push in the top first, insert the bottom part, and push.
- Tighten the upper screws.
- Tighten the lower clamp screw.
- To install the Top pipe insert the pipe bottom first.
- Line up the Top pipe's lowest part with the turbo inlet.
Position the top turbo pipe bottom first then the upper part then push.
- Fasten the clamp at the bottom using a screwdriver.
- Fasten the upper part retaining screws.
Frequently Asked Question
How do you know your turbo intake pipe is bad?
- You may experience poor acceleration, bad fuel economy, and too much exhaust smoke. Dirt may enter the turbo and cylinders.
Can you drive a Mercedes-Benz with a bad turbo intake pipe?
- Driving a car with a bad turbo pipe would not be economical and is not recommended. Dirt may enter the turbo and cylinders.
Mercedes-Benz vehicles equipped with M278 engines.
- 2011–2017 S 500/S 550
- 2011–2014 CL 500/CL 550
- 2015-2017 S 500 Coupé/S 550 Coupé
- 2011–2018 CLS 500/CLS 550
- 2012–2020 SL 500/SL 550
- 2012–2014 E 500/E 550
- 2012-2014 ML 500/ML 550
- 2013–2014 GL 450
- 2013–2019 GL 500/GLS 500/GL 550/GLS 550
- 2016–present BAIC BJ90 (an SUV from Chinese brand BAIC based on the second generation Mercedes-Benz GL-Class)