Knowing the location of the fuse box is important to troubleshoot and diagnose a variety of symptoms by a simple check of fuses. We will also show how to check to see if a fuse is good, the most effective way is by using an ohmmeter, and another simple way is to do a visual check.
This applies to Mitsubishi Outlander model years: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and other models such as the Outlander Sport, Mirage, Lancer, Galant, and more.
What you will need
- Open the hood of the vehicle and use the hood prop to secure the open hood.
- Locate the fuse box under the hood. The fuse box is on the driver's side, right behind the battery. By pressing on the plastic tab in the front and pulling the cover off, you can remove the cover.
- The fuse box cover displays a diagram of all the fuses and relays in that fuse box. The diagram includes symbols that indicate the circuit in which the fuse is wired, the number of the fuse location, as well as the amperage rating of the fuse.
- Refer to the fuse section in the owner's manual (or this guide) to decipher what each symbol and fuse location means. There are many symbols that are obvious what they control, such as the lights, horn, engine, a/c, etc., but some of them are ambiguous, and there are several fuses that control circuits for the same systems.
- If you suspect a fuse is bad, you can visually inspect it. Pull the fuse with a puller and look at the fuse to see if the metal conduit inside has been broken in any way. If the metal filament is not intact, this means the fuse is blown, technically known as an open circuit.
- The most effective way to know one hundred percent if a fuse is good or bad is to test the continuity of the circuit. Use an ohmmeter or multimeter set to the ohm setting, take the leads and touch them to the top of the fuse blades where the metal is exposed without removing them from the fuse box circuit. If an open loop is still appearing on the meter the fuse is bad. If resistance is measured, indicated by numbers on the meter, the fuse is good (closed circuit).
- There are also relays under the fuse box. Troubleshooting steps for relays are different depending on what relay and circuit it is involved in. This can be a bit more complicated and involve a more in-depth knowledge of electrical systems.
- The other fuse box location is located to the left of the steering wheel under the dash. The cover can easily be popped off by pulling it from the indention in the cover. Like the previous cover, this one also has a diagram inside the cover. Refer to the owner's manual and our guide for what each fuse location is and the circuit it controls.
I have a bad fuse. What do I need to replace it with?
Always use the correct amperage fuse. A fuse with too high amperage can lead to electrical parts/sensors failing.
A fuse too low will constantly blow and leave you stranded when any load is put on the system. It is very important to follow the amperage indicated on the inside of the fuse box covers. These are the manufacturer's specifications.
Should I buy cheap fuses for my vehicle? Will they work?
It is important to buy quality fuses. Fuses that are not up to OEM standards can lead to electrical fires and complete electrical system failures. Make sure to read any reviews and check the company manufacturing standards meet OEM specifications.