Best OBD2 scanners for Toyota, Lexus, Scion
In this article, we review various Toyota/Lexus diagnostic scanners that can help Toyota owners and mechanics perform in-depth troubleshooting.
If you work on Toyota and Lexus vehicles frequently, generic OBD-II scanner isn't enough.
This article covers scanners that can troubleshoot engine, transmission, ABS, airbag, SRS, traction control and more Toyota / Lexus vehicles.
Launch Creader VII+ CRP123
The Launch Creader VII+ can perform in-depth troubleshooting which is not possible with a generic OBD II scanner.
It can read and clear fault codes from the engine, transmission, ABS and airbag system on your Toyota.
This scanner can also stream live data but it will not be able to do any programming like you can with the dealer level scanners.
If you are looking for an affordable scanner that can perform comprehensive diagnosis on your cars this is a good choice.
Works on Toyota but also on:
Audi, Australia Ford, Benz, BMW, Brilliance, Chevrolet, Chevy, Chrysler, Citroen, Dacia, Dadi, Daewoo, Daihatsu, Demo, Fiat, Ford, GM, Holden, Honda, Hyundai, Isuzu, Jaguar, Kia, Lancia, LandRover, Mahindra, Maruti, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Opel, Peugeot, Renault, Romeo, Rover, Saab, Seat, Skoda, Smart, Subaru, Suzuki, Tata, Toyota, Volvo, VW.
This is overall a good code reader if you perform your car repairs and you have to work on multiple cars. It is priced reasonably as well.
Autel MaxiDAS Diagnostic Scanner
The Autel is one of our favorite diagnostic scanners which we use frequently.
Not only is it able to diagnose multiple vehicles brands but it is capable of accessing all systems in all cars including Toyotas and Lexus. It is also one of the most popular Autel scanners.
The Autel DS708 is compatible with domestic US, European and Asian car manufacturers. If you have a genuine copy of the scanner you are able to get software updates from Autel.
Autel MaxiDAS is a bi-directional scanner. It allows you to perform ECU programming, activate sensors and look at live data for any system installed on your car.
This is the only one scanner that has similar capabilities to the official dealer scanner, the Techmaster. The main disadvantage of this scanner is the price.
While it is expensive for the car DIYer, it is one of the least expensive professional scanners out there. The scanner itself is easy to use and doesn't require much training.
Autolink AL619 ABS/SRS Scanner
The Autolink AL619 code scanner is a handheld scanner that will allow you to diagnose the Check Engine Light / Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) but also read, clear and reset codes from the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) and SRS / airbag.
It can stream live sensor data and playback, read and store data. This scanner works on all 1996 and newer vehicles.
This scanner is cable of diagnosing vehicles equipped with CAN network. The AutoLink AL619 software can be updated via the internet to allow coverage of newer vehicles.
iCarsoft TYT II
The iCarsoft TYTII scanner is a unique scanner that allows you to do an in-depth diagnostic on your Toyota, Scion, Isuzu and Lexus vehicles.
It provides full system coverage for the systems on your car but its also allows you to perform several resets such as Oil Service Reset (OLS), Electronic Parking Brake Reset (EPB), Electronic Throttle Body Reset (ECTS), Steering Angle Sensor Reset (SAS) and Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration / Replace.
iCarsoft TYT II can read and clear trouble codes from all systems on your Toyota such as the engine, transmission, ABS and airbag.
- Read Codes
- Erase Codes
- I/M Readiness -- I/M Readiness indicates whether or not the various emissions-related systems on the vehicle are operating properly and are ready for Inspection and Maintenance testing.
- Data Stream
- Freeze Frame -- When an emission-related fault occurs, certain vehicle conditions are recorded by the on-board computer. This information is referred to as freeze frame data. Freeze Data is a snapshot of the operating conditions at the time of an emission-related fault
- O2 Sensor Test -- This option allows retrieval and viewing of O2 sensor test results for most recently performed tests from the vehicle?s onboard computer
- On-Board Monitoring -- This function can be utilized to read the results of on-board diagnostic monitoring tests for specific components/systems
- Evap System Test -- The EVAP test function lets you initiate a leak test for the vehicle?s EVAP system. Before using the system test function, refer to the vehicle?s service repair manual to determine the procedures necessary to stop the test
- Vehicle Information -- The option displays the vehicle identification number (VIN), the calibration verification number (CVN), and other information of the test vehicle
This is a great scanner if you want to access all the systems on your Toyota / Lexus so that you can read and clear the codes. The downside is that it does not work on any other car brand other than the Toyota family.
Techstream Technical Information System (TIS)
The primary diagnostic scan tool used at Toyota dealerships is the Techstream.
In the past, dealers used the Mastertech scanner all the way up until 20081. Now you will find that Toyota and Lexus dealers use the Techstream Lite. This system is backward compatible will older cars.
The Techstream scanner allows you to view and analyze vehicle data. Techstream 2.0 replaced the previous Techstream 1.0 scanner and will work on all 1996 to current model year Toyota, Scion, and Lexus vehicles.
The Techstream diagnostic scanner consist of three parts:
- Techstream diagnostic software
- Laptop / PC
- MongoosePro - Vehicle Interface Module
MongoosePro MFC2 allows the Techstream software to connect to the vehicle.
Visit the Teachstream Lite information page2 if you would like to learn more about Toyota approved dealer equipment.
The Drew Tech Toyota Pro Mongoose is the latest version of Mongoose interfaces. To download new software updates and calibration files you will need to connect to "Dealer Daily" network.
💡 Help us improve this article by providing feedback. No registration is required.
💭 Ask car questions in our Car Forum.