In this article, we will look at common problems that cause to get stuck. BMW owners often experience a problem where one side of the hood latch gets stuck.
Let's take a look at some of the most common problems that can cause a BMW hood to not open.
If your BMW hood won't open it could be due to any of the following causes:
- Broken hood latch release
- BMW hood cable is rusted
- Broken plastic release under the hood
- Misalignment hood
- Stretched cable if the hood only opens on one side
Remove the wheel liner and reach the hood release cable.
Use a wire hanger to reach the hood release and pull. Use a rod to push the hood latch.
The last option would be to carefully remove the BMW grill and access the latches via the kidney grill opening.
Troubleshooting BMW hood won't open
- The first step in troubleshooting a BMW hood that won't open is to ensure that you are pulling the hood release all the way back. Make sure you are also pulling the hood release twice. Some BMW models require that you pull the hood twice, for the hood to unlock.
- If that doesn't work, try pressing down on the hood as a helper pulls on the hood release. Once you have pulled the hood release under the dash try popping up the hood.
- Next, check the cable at the hood lever. If the cable has popped out of the release you will not be able to unlatch the hood because the cable is not being pulled. The cable can also pop out of the channel at the hood latch under the hood.
- If the hood releases on one side but not the other it means the cable to that latch is broken, the cable is stretched or the cable has slid out of the latch. The follow ing picture shows you how the cable should look. This is the location where it can slide out of the latch.
- The cable that comes from under the hood splits in two cables at the box next to the fender. Open this box and make sure the cables aren't disconnected.
- Lastly, check the release at the front of the hood. It often breaks or gets stucks due to rust. If that is the case, use a wire hanger to unlock the hood.
- If you can't get the hood to open the last resort would be to remove BMW hood grill and access the latch and cables via the grill.
- Once you get the hood open check the operation of the cable. If the cable is hard to pull or does not move the latch at all it may be damaged. Try spraying some penetrating oil to lubricate any rusted parts. Otherwise, the problem may be a misaligned hood.
How to open a BMW hood?
There are a couple of different hood latch designs. The most common requires the hood release under the dashboard to be pulled and then release the hood at the front.
Newer BMW models don't have a hood release under the hood, but simply require you to pull the hood release under the hood twice.
- BMW e39 5 series How to open hood with no tools in 30sec when cable is broken EZ DIY
- BMW E92 hood problem passenger side fix easy
- Hood Release Cable Replacement DI