Order new Kia Key
Do you need Kia replacement key or keyless entry keyfob?
If you are looking to get a Kia replacement key you have a couple of options.
The dealer will be able to make a new key for any Kia model including Rio, Soul, Forte, Sportage, Optima, etc.
The locksmith will be able to cut you a new key for most older Kia models but not for the new model Kia's that have a built-in chip in the key which requires programming. Locksmiths may be able to program a transponder key depending on the equipment that they have.
If you do have a locksmith nearby give them a call and tell them that you need a new key made. Inform the locksmith of the year, make and model of your Kia.
The locksmith will be able to tell you if they can cut a new key for your Kia
How to order key from Kia dealers
Wondering how you can get a new key for your Kia?
You need to visit Kia dealer in your area and go to their parts departments.
- Locate a Kia dealer in your area.
- Visit the Kia parts department to place order an for a new key.
- Documents that you should bring when you order a new Kia key.
- Driver License
- Proof of ownership. Title or Car Registration
- Pre payment for the new key
- Once you order the new key, the Kia dealer will call you in a two to three days and ask you to go back to pick up your key. Some Kia keys can be cut and picked up on the same day.
Your new key typically will require programming in order to Lock or Unlock the car.
Otherwise, those features will not work. If you have the instructions for your model you can do this yourself at home. If you have the dealer, perform the programming they will charge you for that service.
Lost Kia key, what should I do?
If you have lost the Kia key don't panic. Here is what you should do.
Get together your drivers license, proof of ownership (title, registration) and VIN number of your Kia.
Go to your Kia dealer and order a new key.
Based on the VIN number the Kia dealer should be able to cut the new key without having the car there. In same cases, they may have to order a new metal key which can take in average two to three days to arrive. Once you pick up the key from the dealer you can use it to start up the car.
You may need to go back to visit the Kia dealer to have the key fob programmed to Lock/Unlock the car. In many cases, the programming can be performed at home if you can find the correct programming procedure for you Kia model.
How much do Kia new keys cost?
That depends on the model of your car and type of key. If the key has a chip or not.
These prices are general guidelines if you live in US. Keep in mind that these prices can vary depending on your location, even in US.
- Kia metal key (wallet key) no chip - $29-$80
- New Kia Key & Fob - $250-$300
If you are looking for a spare key to use in case of emergency you can order what is called a wallet key.
It is not a full keyfob and it does not have Lock/Unlcok buttons but is just a key that will allow you to open and start the car manually. It costs around $30 for the metal key and about $25 for the dealer to cut the new key. This is a lot cheaper than spending $250-$300 on a new keyfob.
What battery is used on Kia key fob remote?
- Most Kia key fobs use two CR2032 button cell batteries. We would recommend a lithium battery instead of NiCad, as they last a lot longer. You can find replacement CR2032 Lithium battery on Amazon.
How to replace Kia key fob battery?
- If you need help with replacing the battery on Kia remote check out this step by step guide on How to Replace Kia Key Fob Remote Battery.
Key Fob Damaged, Replacement Options?
- If your Kia key fob is damaged instead of ordering a new key you should consider replacing the key fob case. A new case costs a fraction of the cost of a new key and can be replaced at home. It is an easy DIY project that can save you money so that you don't have to buy a $250 new key. Head over to Amazon to find Kia Key Fob Remote Replacement Case .
💡 Help us improve this article by providing feedback. No registration is required.
💭 Ask car questions in our Car Forum.