In this guide, we will show you how to remove and replace the steering wheel buttons on a 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander. If your buttons on your steering wheel have stopped working it could be a multitude of different things.
It is ideal to diagnose the problem before trying to simply replace the part. This part is a bit pricier starting at $80 for a refurbished or aftermarket unit and up to $200 for an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) part. The following are other potential causes you would need to rule out before replacing the steering wheel buttons.
Common causes of the steering wheel buttons not working:
- Liquid, moisture, or normal use wear caused it to fail
- The clock spring in the steering wheel has gone bad
- Blown fuses or bad wiring caused a loss of power to it
- The body control module that it sends signals to is malfunctioning
What you will need
- Locate the hole on the back of the steering wheel directly behind the left steering wheel switch. Insert a Phillips head screwdriver in this hole and loosen and remove the one screw holding the switch in place.
- Using your hand gently pry the switch off of the steering wheel. The lip of the airbag will be covering the right side of the switch. Once the leftmost side of it is out, the switch can be angled and pulled out enough to expose the electrical connector that is attached to it.
- Press down the tab on the green connector that is plugged into the switch and pull it out of it. Note: Checking for power at this electrical connector would be one of the first steps in diagnosing whether the switch is the problem or not.
- Reverse the procedure and replace the old switch with a new one. You are done!
Help! My steering wheel buttons and horn are not working, what is wrong?
If multiple things are not working on the steering wheel, it is a good chance the clock spring that powers everything in the wheel is not working. It could also be the wiring leading to the clock spring, start with troubleshooting and diagnosing the clockspring. A guide on removing and replacing the clock spring can be seen here.
Why is my steering wheel difficult to turn?
This usually doesn't have anything to do with any parts inside the vehicle in the steering wheel. It is more likely something under the hood like the power steering pump or rack and pinion malfunctioning.
All Mitsubishi models including Galant, Lancer Evo, Outlander, Eclipse, Mirage, and more. All year models including current-gen: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.