In this guide, we will show you how to replace the door window glass on a C-Class Mercedes-Benz. In the tutorial, we will work on the driver's side window; however, this can be applied to the passenger and rear windows.
This is a challenging repair and requires some more tools than what's included in your basic tool-kit. It is also important to follow proper safety procedures and wear personal protective equipment when performing this repair. Follow along with the video and our step-by-step guide so you too can perform your own automotive repairs!
What you will need
- Replacement glass window
- Mercedes plastic fasteners/retainers
- Masking tape
- Start by disconnecting the battery. This is important because there are airbags inside the door panel; tampering with them while the electrical system has not been discharged can deploy them and cause injury and even death. Wait fifteen minutes after disconnecting the battery before beginning work.
- Make sure to wear thick gloves while working on the sharp razor-thin metals of the door panel, and they can cut you to the bone if you are not careful. Also, be sure to wear safety glasses while drilling; metal shaving can fly into your eyes, damaging them.
- Next, tape the window to the top of the door with a light stick tape that will not hurt the car's paint.
- Remove the interior door panel. Use a trim tool to remove the plastic retainers around the outside of it. Then remove the two bolts in the center of the door panel.
- Pry the door panel off carefully by hand by pulling it away from the door. Once the panel pops off of the metal door, pull up on the panel to get it off the window sill and above the door locks. Angle the panel so the back of it can be seen; the door latch cable will still be connected to the handle on the panel. Work the end of the cable out of its slot.
- Next, drill out the rivets around the perimeter of the inner metal door panel. Once all the rivets have been drilled, the panel will move, but this panel has tracks on the back that mount to the glass.
- Use a Torx bit and ratchet to unbolt the track of the inner metal door panel from the glass. Work the glass out of the mounts, reach your hand through the speaker hole if necessary to move the track. Pull the inner metal panel out, pull it up and over the door lock to remove it.
- Remove the tape from the glass while carefully holding it through the opening of the inner door. Be careful not to drop it and slide the glass down. Turn the glass 90 degrees with the smaller end facing up, pull the glass straight up, and out the door.
- Reverse this procedure to reinstall new glass in your vehicle's door. Be careful not to over-torque the mounts to the glass. Use a rivet gun and rivets to reinstall the inner metal door panel. Don't forget to reinstall any door cables or plastic retainers! Reconnect the battery and test out your window. You are done!
Where can I get replacement glass for my vehicle?
Online is a great place to start, sites like eBay and Amazon will often have used glass for great prices. Salvage and junkyards are other great places to check if you are looking to save some bucks. New replacements can be found by calling glass shops and have them order it for you or by paying a premium at a dealership for new OEM glass.
Window bracket mount torque: ~10-13 ft-lbs
Mercedes-Benz C-Class W204 Chassis
Years: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014