In this guide, we will show you how to replace the rear wiper motor in a 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander. This repair can be tackled in a short amount of time and parts aren't too expensive. It is a simple repair and even with little to no automotive repair knowledge, it can be done. Just follow this guide and the rear wipers of your Mitsubishi will be working again!
- From the outside of the vehicle, by hand pry the plastic cap off of the rear wiper arm where it pivots exposing a 10mm nut that attaches the arm to the motor.
- Remove the nut with a ratchet and socket. Hold the wiper arm with one hand to prevent torque from transferring to the arm.
- Once the nut is removed mark where the arm lines up onto the stud with paint or marker.
- Use a wiper arm puller to remove the arm from the stud. It can also be pried off, but do so at your own risk. Doing so could cause damage to the glass or warping off the stud or arm.
- Open the trunk, use a trim tool to carefully pry the plastic cover from the inside of the trunk, it is held in by plastic push-in retainers. Pop them out and remove the plastic cover.
- The wiper motor will now be exposed, remove the electrical connector from the motor. Push down on the plastic tab and pull it out.
- Three bolts hold in the wiper motor, remove the bolts and pull the wiper motor out.
- Install the new wiper motor, make sure the rubber grommet seals when pushing the new motor through the glass.
- Reverse the procedure. When reinstalling the arm back onto the new motor stud. Refer to the line placement that was on the old motor splines. Try to get it close and make sure the arm sits parallel to the horizon.
- Make sure the new wiper motor works, you're all done!
Is my wiper motor failing?
There are signs that indicate pretty clearly if a wiper motor is failing. These may include the blades moving slower than they normally would, only one speed working, the wipers not moving at all, or not parking in the correct position. If any of these start to happen it is a good idea to replace the wiper motor.