What you will need
- Do not remove the coolant reservoir cap when the engine is running or hot.
- Allow the Subaru to cool down. Opening the radiator or coolant reservoir cap when the Subaru engine is hot can cause serious injuries.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard.
- Locate the coolant reservoir and remove the cap.
- Add engine coolant to bring the level just below the Maximum mark.
That's it. Checking and adding coolant (antifreeze) to a Subaru is very easy. Make sure to allow the engine to cool down before you remove the radiator or coolant reservoir cap.
What Kind of coolant does a Subaru take?
Most Subaru vehicles use Genuine Subaru Super Engine Coolant SOA868V9270. Verify the correct engine coolant for your Subaru in the owner's manual. Don't use just plain water or unapproved antifreeze.