In this guide, you will find step-by-step instructions on how to change the brake hose on a Tesla.
What you will need
How to change Tesla brake hose.
- Park your Tesla on level ground.
- Loosen the lug nuts at the wheel where you plan on replacing the brake hose. Do not remove the lug nuts yet.
- Jack up the vehicle by placing a jack at the lift points.Use a jack pad adapter to prevent damage to the battery.
- Secure the vehicle with jack stands. Do not place jack stands under the car near the battery pack.
- Remove the wheel from the vehicle.
- Place a drain pan under the brake hose.
- Loosen and remove the bolt that secures the brake hose to the caliper.
- Remove the 10mm bolt and clap that secures the brake hose to the knuckle.
- Loosen the nut that secures the brake line to the brake hose. Counter hold the brake hose.
- Slide-out the U-Clip and remove the brake hose from the vehicle.
- Reinstall the new brake hose in reverse order.
- Open the hood by pressing OPEN on the touchscreen.
- Remove the plastic cover in front of the windshield by lifting it up. It is held in place with several plastic retainers. It does not have any screws.
- Clean the cap and area around the brake fluid reservoir with clean cloth.
- Remove the cap and add the recommended brake fluid. The recommended brake fluid is printed on the top of the brake fluid reservoir. In a 2018 Tesla Model 3, the recommended brake fluid is DOT 3.
- Loosen the bleed valve at the brake caliper.
- Have a friend press the brake pedal several times until brake fluid starts to drip from the bleed valve.
- Tighten the bleed valve while your friend keeps the brake pedal pressed, and the bleed valve is dripping brake fluid. You may have to repeat this procedure a few times.
That's it. Replacing the brake hose on a Tesla is relatively easy and requires about one hour.
When bleeding brake system, make sure to start the procedure by bleeding the brake caliper furthest from the driver. This means you should bleed the calipers in this order on vehicles that have the steering wheel on the left: 1. right rear, 2, left rear, 3, right front, 4, left front.