On Tesla, you can use your phone to lock/unlock and start your car. A phone on a Tesla can be used as a key so that you don't have to carry the key card in your pocket.
In this guide, we go over the steps on how to add your phone as a key card on a Tesla Model 3. To use your phone as a key, you will need to install the Tesla Mobile App. You can download the Tesla mobile app for iPhone here or Android here.
- Press the Car icon on the bottom left of the touchscreen.
- Press Locks on the left menu.
- Press the + button to the right of the Key text.
- Click Add Phone Key
- Open the Tesla Mobile App on your phone. If you don't have this app on your phone, download it from the app store.
- Once the Tesla app opens up, click on the Phone Key to set up your phone as a key.
- Next, go to your car and have the key card on hand.
- Select Start on your phone and wait while it searches for your car.
- Place the key card in the center console.
- Success will show on your phone. Click DONE at the bottom.
Once you have set up your phone to work as a key, you will be able to lock, unlock, and start the car with just your phone.
Tesla Phone Key Not Working
A common problem that Tesla owner faces is that the phone doesn't always unlock the ca, or they can't start the car because the phone is not recognized. Here are a few tips that can help you resolve this problem.
- Make sure that Bluetooth is turned on on your phone. Also, make sure the phone is not in airplane mode.
- If the Bluetooth is turned on, but you still experience problems, try uninstalling and reinstalling the Tesla mobile app. These simple steps will fix sync problems in some cases.
- In your car settings, make sure your phone is not added twice, which can confuse the car.
The majority of communication issues between Tesla and the phone have been resolved with software updates. Make sure your Tesla has the latest updates.
If you open the Tesla app and press unlock, then the car will unlock, and you can also start it. A Tesla pairs with your phone via the Bluetooth connection; the Bluetooth connections are not always reliable.