The common symptom of a failing low beam bulb is a drastic dimming of the headlight.
What you will need
- Put the car in park. Turn off the ignition, then set the parking brakes.
- Open the hood by pulling the hood release under the dashboard.
- Remove the headlight (low beam) dust cover by twisting then pulling it out.
- Hold the H7 bulb socket, turn counterclockwise and pull to detach the bulb and socket from the headlight (low beam).
- Take note of the bulb position on the socket.
- Separate the H7 bulb from the socket by pulling in gently, wear clean gloves to avoid bulb glass contamination.
- Prepare the new H7 bulb. Do not touch the glass part of the bulb with your bare hands.
- Insert the new bulb into the socket gently, wear clean gloves to avoid bulb contamination or damage.
- Line up the tabs on the bulb and socket assembly into the headlight (low beam) slot.
- Push the assembly gently and turn clockwise to lock the bulb assembly in place.
- Reinstall the headlight (low beam) dust cover.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long will a VW Jetta low beam last?
- Halogen headlights can last anywhere from 450 to 1,000 hours. LED bulbs can burn for as long as 40,000 hours. In comparison, HID would work up to 2,000 hrs.
Can you drive a VW Jetta with a defective low beam light?
- It is not recommended to drive any car with a defective headlight because it may cause poor visibility during the night and rainy conditions and cause an accident.
- Volkswagen Jetta – all models with H7 low beam headlight from 2011-2019 A6.