Is your Mercedes-Benz low-beam light not working? Learn how to fix the problem by replacing the low-beam light bulb of your Mercedes-Benz.
This guide will show you how to change the low beam headlight bulb on an R-Class: R350, R320, or R500 model Mercedes Benz. Follow our step-by-step guide; if needed, watch the video for visual examples.
This repair is simple; anyone can save time and money by doing it yourself! Before starting this repair, it is important to identify your headlight bulb. The R-class model Mercedes typically uses either halogen or HID bulbs.
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
To spot the difference, turn on your headlight; if your headlights come on and are a yellow color, this is a halogen bulb. If the lights flash on, slowly warm up to full power, and are white, this is an HID bulb. If unsure, you can remove the bulb first to see what type it is or call the dealership and have them look up the part using your vehicle’s VIN.
What you will need
[amazon bestseller =”Mercedes-Benz R-Class Low Beam Light Bulb” items=”1″]
- Flathead screwdriver
- Replacement low beam headlight bulb for a Mercedes R-Class (either halogen or HID)
- Gloves (optional high-voltage safety gloves for HID bulbs)
- First, turn the wheel into the wheel well, depending on which side of the bulb you are replacing, so the access panel is exposed.
- From the wheel well of the side you are replacing, turn the two fasteners on top of the access panel counterclockwise and pull the panel up and out of the wheel well.
- Now, the back of the headlight assembly can be seen through the wheel well. The socket cover on the rear of the assembly needs to be removed. Twist it counterclockwise and pull it out. This will expose the back of the bulb socket.
- Note: This step is only if you have HID bulbs. Depending on which type of bulb you have installed, the procedure for removing it will be a little different. An HID bulb will usually have a bulky square piece that is made onto the bulb; rotate the square connector/bulb counterclockwise and pull it out. Push the metal tab on the wiring connected to the connector/bulb and pull it off. Remove the HID bulb/connector assembly. Use caution when working with HID bulbs; they operate at high voltage, and high-voltage safety gloves should be used when handling them. Always ensure the lights are off and the surrounding area is dry.
- For regular halogen bulbs, twist the socket counterclockwise and pull it out to remove it. Be sure to wear gloves when handling glass bulbs so no oils from your hands can get on the bulb; doing so will cause the bulb to form a hotspot and break.
- The bulb can now be removed from the socket; take note of the position of the metal tab at the bottom of the bulb. Remove the bulb from the socket by pulling it straight out. If needed, use a flathead screwdriver to pry them apart. The metal prongs of the bulb can get stuck in the socket due to heat and corrosion.
- Install a new bulb in the electrical socket; be sure to align the metal tab of the bulb with the socket tab when installing. Push the bulb in the socket to ensure no gap between them.
- Reinstall the bulb, and be careful not to bump it into anything and shatter it or score the glass. The bulb will take a quarter-clockwise turn to lock it into place.
- Reinstall the socket cover and the access panel. Repeat the process on the other side and test out your new headlights! You are all done!
Mercedes-Benz R-class model: R350, R320, or R500
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
We hope you find the Mercedes-Benz R-Class Low Beam Light Bulb Replacement guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mercedes-Benz.