Does your Mercedes-Benz Sprinter oil smell like burning, your exhaust smoke is dark, your engine is overheating, and service warning lights are on? Learn how to fix the problems by oil changing your Sprinter vehicle.
What you will need
SaleBestseller No. 1
Bestseller No. 1
- Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 Engine Oil
- Must meet MB 229.52 Specifications
- See the capacity chart below.
- Mercedes Sprinter Engine Oil Filter
- Oil Funnel
- Oil Drain Pan
- Oil Filter Pliers
- 13mm Socket
- Ratchet wrench
- Rags & Gloves
- Torque wrench
How to change engine oil on a Sprinter
- Before doing anything else, make sure your Sprinter is parked somewhere stable, the parking brake is on, and the engine is cool to avoid getting burned.
- After that, put on your gloves and locate the oil pan on the underside of the van. Look for the 13 mm bolt on the side of the oil pan and place your draining container below it. Use your 13mm socket ratchet to unscrew the bolt. Remove the oil drain plug.Ensure you don’t drop the bolt and/or the washer in the container as you pull it out. Allow the oil to drain completely. Inspect the washer and replace it.
- To access the filter compartment easily, it’s best to remove the air intake first, for which you won’t need any tools.
- Now unscrew the filter cap using your oil filter pliers or filter wrench. Pull out the filter housing along with the filter by hand.Place a spare rag under the filter housing as you pull it out to avoid any mess the dripping oil might cause.
- Remove the filter and the two O rings on the housing (1 on the base near the cap and 1 on the tip). This is a good time to inspect your filter for anything unusual (metal shavings etc.). Place the new filter inside the housing and press-fit the new O rings onto the housing by hand.
- Now screw the filter housing back in place, screw it a few times by hand, and then tighten it using the oil filter wrench until the filter is flush with the housing. Put the air intake back in place if you removed it.
- By now, the oil will have drained, screw the oil pan bolt back into place & remove the draining container below. Use a torque wrench to tighten the Sprinter drain plug bolt to 30 Nm (22 ft-lb).
- Add engine oil. Sprinters use MB 229.52 spec oil but check your owner™s manual to be sure. You need 12.5 quarts (‰ˆ 12.5 Liters) of this oil. Unscrew the oil filling spout cap. Place your funnel inside & pour the oil in. Once filled, remove the funnel and screw the spout cap back on.
- Now check the oil level using the dipstick. It might look low as the oil is low; in that case, wait a few minutes and recheck the level.
- Dispose of the old oil and the gloves someplace safe. You can dispose of the used oil at gas stations or your local auto parts store.
Sprinter Engine Oil Capacity
- 5 Cylinder Diesel: 10 qt
- 4 Cylinder Diesel: 13 qt
- 6 Cylinder Diesel: 14 qt
What is the recommended Oil Change Interval for a Sprinter?
Changing the oil every 10,000 miles (16,000 km) is recommended. According to the owner’s manual in 2009, a newer Sprinter A Service is recommended every 20,000.
We hope you find the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Oil Change Guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mercedes-Benz Sprinter.
Do you recommend to change oil every 10 000 miles or every 20 000 miles on 2017 Mercedes sprinter extended high roof?