Is your Mercedes-Benz oil pressure light on, the engine overheats, the burnt oil smell, and a smokier exhaust? Learn how to fix the problem by changing your engine oil for your Mercedes-Benz four-cylinder turbocharged engine (M274 and M270).
This engine is installed in many 2013+ models including E200, GLK200, C200, SLK200, E250, GLK250, C250 C300, E300 , GLC300, SLK300 and several Infiniti models. See the application list below.
What you will need
- Mobil1 Engine Oil 0W-40
- Capacity: 7.4 qt (7.0 L)
- Oil must meet MB 229.5+ specification
- Can use various viscosities depending on climate, including 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30, and 5w-40 that meet the MB 229.5+ specs.
- Engine Oil Filter 270 180 01 09
- 27mm socket 3/8 drive to use as Oil Filter Wrench
- Oil Drain Pan
- 3/8″ Ratchet & 4″ Extension
- Torque Wrench
- 8mm, 13mm sockets
Drive your Mercedes-Benz up on car ramps.
Place the vehicle in Park. Secure the vehicle with jack stands.
Place wheel chocks behind the rear wheels to prevent the vehicle from rolling.
Remove eight 8mm screws from the splash shield. Carefully lower the splash shield to access the engine oil pan. Some models have the oil pan further toward the back and the drain plug on the passenger side. If that is the case, removing the rear splash shield will be needed. This will expose the engine oil pan and also the drain bolt. Don’t remove the bolt from the last pan, the transmission pan.
Slide the oil container under the oil pan. Remove the oil drain bolt. Allow engine oil to drain fully. This can take up to 10 min.
Open the hood by pulling the hood release under the dashboard.
Pull up the engine cover. There are no screws to remove.
Remove the air intake pipe. Twist the small plastic screw to get it loose but not remove it.
Locate the engine oil filter at the front of the engine. Remove the oil filter using a 27mm socket.
Replace the filter and the O-rings. Twist the filter slightly to remove it. Be careful not to break the filter housing.
Reinstall the oil filter and torque it in two stages. The first stage is 25Nm. Second stage 30Nm.
Reinstall the drain plug and torque it to 30 N.m (22 lb. ft). Remember to replace the washer with the drain plug.
Remove the engine oil cap and add 6.5 quarts of engine oil.
Remove the oil dipstick and check the engine oil level. Add engine oil as needed.
Check the engine oil level using the dipstick. Add engine oil to bring the level at the middle of the Max and Min marks.
Notes on using a fluid extractor
- You may prefer to use an oil extraction pump instead of jacking up the car to drain the oil.
- If you decide to go this route, you will not need ramps, a drain pan, or 8mm or 13mm sockets.
- You will need an oil extraction pump such as a Mityvac Fluid Evacuator or OEM Tools Fluid Extractor.
- You will use the oil dipstick to drain the oil instead of the drain plug.
- A small amount of old oil (5%-10%) may remain in the oil pain when using a fluid extractor.
- 2015 – present W205 C160
- 2012 – 2013 W204 C180
- 2013 – 2016 W212 E180
- 2013 – 2016 W212 E200 Natural Gas Drive
- 2013 – 2016 W212 E200
- 2013 – 2016 X204 GLK200
- 2014 – 2018 W205 C200
- 2015 – present R172 SLK200
- 2016 – present W213 E200
- 2013 – 2016 W212 E250
- 2013 – 2016 X204 GLK250
- 2014- 2018 W205 C250
- 2015 – 2018 W205 C350e
- 2016 – present W213 E250
- 2016 – present W213 E350e
- 2015 – 2018 W205 C300
- 2015 – 2018 W213 E300
- 2015 – present X253 GLC300
- 2015 – present R172 SLK300
- 2016-present CV37 Q60
- 2018-present Y51 Q70
- 2015-present V37 Q50
Oil Change Interval
Approximately every 10,000 miles.
ASSYST PLUS service reminder should inform the owner of the next service due.
- Drain Bolt: A 00 299 734 30
- Drain Bolt Washer: N 007603 014106
- Oil Filter: 15208 HG00D, A 270 184 0225, 2701800109, 270 180 01 09
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between M270 and M274?
The M270 is transversely mounted, while the M274 is a longitudinally mounted engine. Regardless of how the engine is mounted on your vehicle, instructions on changing the engine oil remain the same.
Can I use an oil extractor to change the engine oil?
Yes. Many owners use an oil extractor pump such as the Mityvac Fluid Evacuator. An oil extractor makes the job easier, but keep in mind a small amount of old oil will remain in the oil pan.
When Should car engine oil be changed?
Approximately every 10,000 miles, depending on the oil you use. Also, some say you can change oil around 5,000 – 7,500 miles.
We hope you find the Mercedes-Benz M274 2.0T 4-cylinder Engine Oil Change guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mercedes-Benz.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!