Is your Mercedes-Benz Airbag light on due to a faulty rear airbag? Learn how to fix the problem by replacing the rear airbag of your Mercedes-Benz. This guide provides steps on how to replace the rear airbag on Mercedes-Benz ML-Class (W164), GL-Class (X164), and W251 (R-Class).
What you will need
- Mercedes Rear Suspension Airbag ML R GL
- Floor Jack
- Jack Stand
- 10mm Open End Wrench
How to change Mercedes X164 / W251 Rear Suspension Air Bag
- Park the vehicle on level ground and set the parking brakes.
- Loosen the lug nuts for the rear wheel but do not remove the lug nuts yet.
- Jack up the vehicle and secure it with jack stands.
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove the air line nut of the back of the airbag.
- Use a flathead screwdriver to pry down the airbag.
- Lift the airbag and pull it out of the vehicle.
- Remove the white plastic piece from the frame by turning it counterclockwise. Install the new white plastic. If the black O ring from the old air strut is stuck on the white piece, remove and discard it. The new airbag will have the black O ring installed in it.
- Install the new airbag and push it up to lock it on the white plastic piece.
- Replace and reinstall the airline nut. Inspect the rubber o-ring on the nut. Do not overtighten the copper nut.
- Install the wheel and slowly lower the vehicle.
- Start up the engine and allow it to rise. This can take up to five minutes.
- W164 ML320 ML350 ML450 ML550,
- X164 GL320 GL350 GL450 GL550,
- W251 A251 R320 R350 R550 R500 R63 AMG
Applicable mainly to the 2006 to 2012 model years.
- A 251 320 04 25
- A 251 320 03 25
We hope you find the Mercedes-Benz Rear Airbag Replacement GL ML R Class W164 X164 W251 guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mercedes-Benz.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!