Is your Volvo side mirror broken? Learn how to replace the side mirror by following the procedures below. This guide provides instructions on how to replace a Volvo side view mirror.
What you will need
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Most Volvo cars have the battery in the trunk, while a few models have the battery in the engine bay. Use a 10mm socket to loosen the nut on the negative post. Pull the cable away from the post and put it to the side.
- Remove the back cover. Open the door and look inside your car at the top corner of the door. You will notice a triangle-shaped plastic piece. You will use the plastic pry tool to remove this piece. You will then be able to unscrew the mounting piece holding the mirror to the car.
- Remove the door panel. In some Volvos, you may need to remove the whole door panel to remove the mirror because the connector is hidden behind the door panel.
- Carefully remove any pushpins and plastic door handle.
- You will need a flathead screwdriver and a plastic pry tool to remove the door panel.
- Once the panel is loose, carefully remove the mounting bolts at the top and bottom of the handle. Then pull the door panel up.
Disconnect wiring. Once the door panel cover is pulled up, you will need to unplug the side mirror wiring. Once the wires are disconnected, you are almost ready to replace the Volvo side rearview mirror.
- Remove the side mirror. With the wires disconnected, the last step is to remove the mirror from the door. You will need to remove three 10mm bolts or one 13mm nut that secures the mirror to the door. Have someone hold up your broken Volvo mirror, so it doesn’t fall and scratch the paint.
- Put your door panel back together. Once you have made any repairs or replaced any parts, it is time to put your door panel and mirror assembly back together. Simply follow the steps you took in reverse. Make sure all wiring is reconnected and snug.
These instructions will work for Volvo cars and SUVs manufactured after 1995, such as
It is fairly simple to replace Volvo’s door mirror, definitively an easy repair you can handle at home. You just need a few tools, and you will be all set. Make sure you have a flathead screwdriver on hand and a plastic pry tool to remove the mirror.
We hope you find the Volvo Side View Mirror Replacement Guide guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Volvo.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!