Mazda Check & Add Power Steering Fluid
This guide provides instructions on how to add power steering fluid to a Mazda vehicle. The pictures on this guide are from a 2015 Mazda 5, but the procedure is similar for other models, including Mazda 3, 6, CX-5, etc.
If the power steering fluid is low on your Mazda5, make sure to add power steering fluid as soon as possible to avoid damage to the power steering pump.
When your Mazda’s power steering level is low, you will notice some or all of the following symptoms.
- Whining noise
- Squealing noise when turning
- Difficulty in turning the steering wheel
- Steering wheel vibrations
- Power Steering Malfunction Indication on Instrument Cluster
- The steering wheel feels heavy to turn.
What you will need
- Mazda Power Steering Fluid
- Typical: Mazda Genuine ATF M-III, M-V, or equivalent, e.g., Dexron® II
- Check the owner’s manual for the correct type.
Open hood. Locate the hood release underneath the dash. Pull the lever until you hear the hood pop open. Next, you need to release the hood safety latch at the front of the hood.
- Locate the power steering reservoir in the engine bay. In this case, the power steering pump is located on the driver/passenger side of the engine bay.
- Once you find the power steering reservoir on your Mazda 5, remove the cap. Inspect the current condition of the power steering fluid.
- Determine Low and High marks. If you look carefully at the side of the power steering reservoir, you will notice a Low and Max level for the power steering fluid.
- Determine if the current power steering level is below the minimum level.
Add power steering fluid to bring the level between the Min and Max marks. Adding power steering fluid to a Mazda is very easy.
Do not drive your Mazda for an extended period if the power steering fluid is low.
Mazda typically recommends that you use Mazda ATF M-III or Dexron II. Every model is different. Make sure to check your owner’s manual.
If your power steering fluid level drops within a few days or even weeks, you may leak in the system and need to diagnose or repair your power steering system immediately. Follow these step-by-step instructions and watch the videos in this guide to learn how to add power steering fluid to a Mazda5. These instructions should help owners of Mazda 3, 5, 6, CX3, CX5, CX7, and CX9.
We hope you find the Mazda Check & Add Power Steering Fluid guide helpful. For more help maintaining your Mazda, check out these tutorials and vehicle maintenance guides.