Looking for the best OBD-II scanner to diagnose Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GM vehicles?
In this article, you will find a list of the best OBD-II scanners for GM vehicles. This ranking is based on our hands-on experience with diagnostic scanners and research.
GM scanners we list here cover the following vehicles:
Specific model coverage should be checked with the scan tool manufacturer. Let's take a look at the best OBD2 scanners for GM vehicles.
Foxwell All System Scanner
- Show live sensors data in text and graph format.
- Actuate sensors, run system tests, program control modules.
- Can perform coding and programming of control modules.
- Works on GM Car, Trucks, SUV from 1996 to present.
- Can reset oil reminder and Service Lights.
- Multiple Language Support
The Foxwell NT510 Buick Chevrolet Cadillac GMC scanner is a multi-system OBD-II scanner that works on most General Motor vehicles. It can read and clear fault codes from all the control units but also provides in-depth diagnostics. It can also perform programming, adaptation, and actuation of a number of sensors but not all. It scans most systems on GM vehicles including SRS, ABS, Transmission, Engine.
You can only have the diagnostic software for a single manufacturer loaded on the Foxwell NT510 model. If your Foxwell NT510 has the GM software it will work on: Saturn, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Geo, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, GMC Truck, Opel, Isuzu, Daewoo, HUMMER, Chevrolet Truck, GMC Truck, and Saab.
- Buick: Lacrosse, Regal, Verano, Enclave, Encore
- Cadillac: ATS, CTS, ELR, XTS, Escalada, Escalada ESV, SRX
- Chevrolet/Chevy: Aveo, Camaro, Cobalt, Corvette, Cruze, Beat, Impala, Malibu, Onix, Prisma, Sail, Sonic, Spark, Spark EV, Volt, Move, Max, Work, SS ,Caprice, Lacetti, Lumina, Optra, Matiz, Captiva, Cheyenne, City express ,Colorado, Express, Equinox, Orlando, Savana, Silverado, Spin, Suburban, Tahoe, Tracker, Traverse, Trax, Tavera, S10, Trailblazer
- Daewoo: Alpheon, Gentra
- Holden: Barine, BarinaSpark, Caprice, Commodore, Cruze, Malibu, Volt, Insignia, Captiva 5, Captiva 7, Colorado, Colorado 7, Trax
- Ravon: Gentra
- GMC: Acadia, Canyon, Savana, Sierra, Terrain, Yukon, Yukon XL
*GM Vehicle Coverage as of Janurary 2020.
Launch Creader VII+
- Diagnose ABS, Airbag, Engine, Transmission
- Works on over 24 car models.
- Easy to use
- Can access manufacturer specific codes.
- Does not support other systems besides the four mentioned.
Launch Creader VII scanner works on GM vehicles but also 24 makes and hunders of car models. It can read and clear fault codes from four main systems: engine, transmission, ABS and airbag. If you are looking for an affordable OBD2 scanner that will work on GM and non-GM vehicles, this is a good scanner to consider.
Innova 3150 OBD II Diagnostic Scanner
- Scan ABS, SRS/Airbag, Engine systems.
- Work on GM, Ford, Chrysler cars, trucks, and SUVs.
- Can scan vehicles 1996 and newer via the OBD-II port.
- Languages: English, French, and Spanish
Innova 3150 OBD-II diagnostic scanner made our list because it is an inexpensive GM scanner. It can read and reset engine, ABS and SRS codes in the majority of cars.
It can also scan the check engine light and will work on most vehicles since 1996 not just GM. If you have other vehicles in your garage that you regularly work on, the Innova is a good alternative. It works on Toyota, Honda, Chrysler, Ford, and GM Vehicles.
- Complete vehicle coverage, in-depth diagnostic.
- Supports Domestic Asian and European vehicles including all GM.
- Can program immobilizers, key coding, sensor activation.
- Can perform ECU adaptation, module setup, initialization etc.
- Dealer level functionality. Perfect for auto repair shops!
The Autel MaxiDAS is a professional line of diagnostic scanners that can diagnose Asian, Domestic, and European vehicles. It comes with adapters to fit GM vehicles like Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC.
The scanner is easy to use but it is meant more for professionals who want dealer level functionality in an OBD2 scanner.
That's why you will see many mechanics and repair shops use the MaxiDAS to troubleshoot your vehicle. It is more expensive than the previously mentioned scanners. It provided an in-depth diagnostic and troubleshooting that can be achieved by some very expensive scanners such as the snap-on Solus.
Based on our hands-on experience, research and cost the best OBD2 scanner for GM cars is Foxwell GM All System Scanner, such as the NT510 model.
For those looking to read and reset Check Engine Light, all you need is a basic OBD-II Scanner. The scanners we focus on this article are more advanced and range in price between $100 to $800 USD. This article is focused on scanners that go further and can troubleshoot at least the following systems: ABS, SRS/Airbag, Engine, Transmission.
What scanner does GM Dealer use?
The main diagnostic scanner used by GM dealers is the Tech2 handheld. The Tech 2 scanner covers GM vehicles all the way back to the early 1990s.
It can diagnose GMC, Suzuki, Saturn, Isuzu, Cadillac, Hummer, and Pontiac vehicles. It can troubleshoot even the new GM vehicles that use the CAN system. Since this is the OEM scanner, it provides a FULL diagnostic of all systems on your vehicle.