This guide provides instructions on how to program a Cadillac key. The instructions on this page are for programming a new or spare Cadillac key. These instructions are NOT for programming a new key fob remote.
- Open the driver’s door, insert the new key in the ignition, and turn the key to the ON position.
- Leave the key in the ON position for ten miles. Please note that if your Cadillac battery is weak or old, you may want to connect a jump box to prevent the car battery from dying.
- Next, turn the key off, then back on for another ten minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn the key off and back on again.
- Wait for ten minutes again with the key in the ON position. (Position II). At this point, you will have been waiting for a total of thirty minutes.
- Turn the key off and then back on. The key is now programmed. Start the vehicle to verify.
When you have a new Cadillac key that is not programmed, it will crank the engine but can not start it. Or the engine starts running for a few seconds.
If your Cadillac has a metal key with a transmitter, follow the instructions to program it. Use this procedure only if you have lost all your Cadillac keys. See the instructions in the next section if you have a working key.
Programming a Spare Cadillac key
Use this method to program a spare Cadillac key if you already have a working key.
- Insert the working key into the ignition and turn the key to position II. All dash lights will turn on. Do not start the engine.
- Wait five seconds with the working key in position II. (The security light car/key symbol should go out.)
- Turn the ignition off and remove the working key.
- Insert the new key and turn the ignition to position II.
- Wait five seconds with the new key in position II. (The security light car/key symbol should go out.)
- Remove the new key from the ignition.
- The New Cadillac key is programmed.
If these instructions do not work, it is possible that the maximum number of keys has already been programmed to your Cadillac.
These instructions may also help resolve problems where you get a warning such as “Service Theft System” or “Disabling Starting, Please Remove Key.”:
If your Cadillac is equipped with Start/Stop keyless system, programming will need to be performed by the dealer. When you order a new key from a Cadillac dealer or locksmith, you may have been told to bring the car back for programming.
Please note that for newer Cadillac models programming only be carried out by the dealer or by a locksmith specializing in GM/Cadillac vehicles.
We hope you find the Program Cadillac Key Fob Remote guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Cadillac.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!