Are the buttons on your Mitsubishi Steering wheel not working? Learn how to fix the problem by replacing the steering wheel buttons of your Mitsubishi. This guide provides instructions on removing and replacing the steering wheel buttons on a 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander. If the buttons on your steering wheel have stopped working, it could be many different things.
Diagnosing the problem before simply trying to replace the part is ideal. This part is a bit pricier, starting at $80 for a refurbished or aftermarket unit and up to $200 for an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) part. The following are other potential causes you would need to rule out before replacing the steering wheel buttons.
How to Replace Mitsubishi Outlander Steering Wheel Button
Common causes of the steering wheel buttons not working:
Access Factory Repair Manuals
The YOUCANIC Pro Manuals offer OEM Factory Repair Manuals with detailed steps and illustrations, comprehensive wiring diagrams, torque specifications, and access to technical service bulletins and OEM service information, mirroring dealership manuals.
- Liquid, moisture, or normal use wear caused it to fail.
- The clock spring in the steering wheel has gone bad.
- Blown fuses or bad wiring caused a loss of power to it.
- The body control module that it sends signals to is malfunctioning,
What you will need
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Mitsubishi Outlander left steering wheel radio control switch
- Locate the hole on the back of the steering wheel directly behind the left steering wheel switch. Insert a Phillips head screwdriver into this hole and loosen and remove the screw holding the switch in place.
- Using your hand, gently pry the switch off of the steering wheel. The lip of the airbag will cover the right side of the switch. Once the leftmost side of it is out, the switch can be angled and pulled out enough to expose the electrical connector that is attached to it.
- Press the tab on the green connector plugged into the switch and pull it out. Note: Checking for power at this electrical connector would be one of the first steps in diagnosing whether the switch is the problem.
- Reverse the procedure and replace the old switch with a new one. You are done!
Help! My steering wheel buttons and horn are not working; what is wrong?
If multiple things are not working on the steering wheel, there is a good chance the clock spring that powers everything in the wheel is not working. It could also be the wiring leading to the clock spring; start with troubleshooting and diagnosing the clockspring. A guide on removing and replacing the clock spring can be seen here.
Why is my steering wheel difficult to turn?
This usually has nothing to do with any parts inside the vehicle in the steering wheel. It is likely something under the hood, like the power steering pump or rack and pinion malfunctioning.
All Mitsubishi models include Galant, Lancer Evo, Outlander, Eclipse, Mirage, and more. All-year models including current-gen: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.
We hope you find the Mitsubishi Outlander Steering Wheel Button Replacement DIY guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mitsubishi.