What you will need
Toyota ABS codes can not be read or reset with a generic OBD-II scanner designed to access the engine module. To read, clear, and reset the Toyota ABS light, you will need a scanner to work on Toyota and access the ABS module.
How to Reset Toyota ABS codes and light
- Connect your OBD-II diagnostic tool to the diagnostic port located under the driver dash area.
- Turn on your ignition two clicks; do not turn on the engine.
- Allow the OBDII tool to communicate with your car.
- Select the Toyota model or do an auto scan.
- Scroll down to the ABS module. Select “Read Fault Codes”
- Write down all the fault codes and fix them.
- Come back and select clear fault codes to erase the ABS light.
It is important to realize that you can not clear the Toyota ABS light or reset the codes without fixing it. If you clear Toyota ABS lights without fixing the problem, the ABS light will come back as soon as you start to drive.
How to Reset Toyota ABS without a Scan Tool
This video shows how to reset the Toyota ABS light with a scan tool. This procedure does not work on all Toyota models.
Can I disable Toyota ABS light?
If your Toyota ABS light is staying on all the time, the ABS is already disabled and non-functional.
You can not reset the Toyota ABS light by disconnecting the battery.