Finding the best OBD2 scanner for Toyota and Lexus can be a challenge. With hundreds of code readers and diagnostic scanners, we understand that it is overwhelming for car owners to find the best OBD2 scanner for Toyota vehicles.
This article provides expert knowledge and research to help you identify the best OBD2 scanner for Toyota and Lexus vehicles.
1. YOUCANIC Full System Scanner
We tested a lot of scanners trying to find the best scanner to use in our garage. What we found is that:
- Many scanner manufacturers make scanners that require a yearly subscription.
- Can diagnose one make but doesn’t work on all different car makes. You will have to pay more to cover other vehicle makes.
- Can’t diagnose all vehicle systems. May only diagnose the engine, airbag, transmission, and ABS problems. That’s only 4 systems. Modern cars can have up to 40+ systems.
- Don’t support bi-direction support for sensor testing and activation.
If you wanted a scanner that can do all these, you have to spend thousands of dollars and most likely pay a yearly subscription.
So we decided to launch the YOUCANIC full system scanner that works on all makes and models.
The YOUCANIC full system scanner:
- Works on all makes.
- Can read and clear codes from all vehicle control units.
- View live data from any sensor.
- Bi-direction support to activate and test sensors and motors.
- Reset functions depending on model
If that is not enough, keep in mind that the YOUCANIC scanner does not require a yearly subscription as other professional-level tools do. We believe that the YOUCANIC scanner offers the best OBD2 for the money for auto mechanics and DIYers.
Don’t want to buy a scanner? We still want to help you fix your vehicle in an economical way. We created a scanner rental program that allows you to use the scanner for a few days on as many cars as you like.
We have a ton of how-to video showing you how to troubleshoot car problems. Once you get the codes, the YOUCANIC technicians can help you with any questions you may have.
2. iCarsoft Toyota / Lexus / Scion / Isuzu Scanner
The iCarsoft TYT II scanner is a unique scanner that allows in-depth diagnostics on your Toyota, Scion, Isuzu, and Lexus vehicles. It provides coverage for all the systems on your car. It can read and clear fault codes from all the systems, including engine, transmission, ABS, airbag, climate control, audio, and more.
It also allows to perform several resets such as Oil Service Reset (OLS), Electronic Parking Brake Reset (EPB), Electronic Throttle Body Reset (ECTS), Steering Angle Sensor Reset (SAS), and Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration / Replace.
We have tested lots of OBD2 scanners. If you are looking for the best OBD2 scanner that is affordable and covers all systems on Toyota and Lexus vehicles, the iCarsoft TYT II Scanner is our top pick. You can recover this scanner’s cost the first time you use it to diagnose the check engine light on your vehicle.
- Read Codes & Erase Codes All Systems
- I/M Readiness — I/M Readiness indicates whether or not the various emissions-related systems on the vehicle are operating properly and are ready for Inspection and Maintenance testing.
- Data Stream
- Freeze Frame: When an emission-related fault occurs, the onboard computer records certain vehicle conditions. This information is referred to as freeze frame data. Freeze Data is a snapshot of the operating conditions during an emission-related fault.
- O2 Sensor Test — This option allows retrieval and viewing of O2 sensor results for most recently performed tests from the vehicle’s onboard computer.
- On-Board Monitoring — This function can be utilized to read the results of onboard diagnostic monitoring tests for specific components/systems.
- Evap System Test — The EVAP test function lets you initiate a leak test for the vehicle’s EVAP system. Before using the system test function, refer to the vehicle’s service repair manual to determine the procedures necessary to stop the test.
- Vehicle Information — The option displays the vehicle identification number (VIN), the calibration verification number (CVN), and other information about the test vehicle
3. Autel Maxisys Professional Diagnostic Scanner
The Autel Maxisys All System Professional Scanner is one of our favorite diagnostic scanners. It offers similar capabilities to the diagnostic scanners offered by the Toyota dealer. Independent auto repair shops often use this scanner.
It cannot only diagnose multiple vehicle brands, but it is also capable of coding the ECU and accessing all systems in all cars, including Toyotas and Lexus. It is also one of the most advanced Autel scanners that you can use to diagnose Toyota and Lexus vehicles.
In addition to performing ECU programming, it can activate sensors and look at live data for any system installed in your car. It also offers bi-directional communication. This is the only scanner with similar capabilities to the official dealer scanner, the Techmaster, and Snap-On Solus.
The Autel Maxisys is the best professional diagnostic scanner for Toyota and Lexus; it is also one of the least expensive professional scanners you can get. If you still want a professional diagnostic scanner for your Toyota but are on a tight budget, consider the Autel MaxiCOM or older generation Autel DS708, which has come down in price significantly.
4. Autolink AL619 ABS/SRS Scanner
The Autolink AL619 scanner is a handheld scanner that will allow you to diagnose the Check Engine Light / Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and read, clear, and reset codes from the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) and SRS/airbag.
It can stream live sensor data, playback, and read and store data. This scanner works on all 1996 and newer vehicles, not just Toyota or Lexus. This scanner is a cable for diagnosing Toyota vehicles equipped with a CAN network. The AutoLink AL619 software can be updated via the internet to allow coverage of newer vehicles. It has limited system coverage compared to the other Toyota scanners in this list, but AutoLink AL619 is one of the best Toyota scanners under $100.
5. Techstream Technical Information System (TIS)
The primary diagnostic scan tool used at Toyota dealerships is Techstream. In the past, dealers used the Mastertech scanner up to 2008. Now you will find that Toyota and Lexus dealers use Techstream. This system is backward compatible will older cars.
The Techstream scanner allows you to view and analyze vehicle data. Techstream 2.0 replaced the previous Techstream 1.0 scanner and will work on all 1996 to current Toyota, Scion, and Lexus vehicles.
The Techstream diagnostic scanner consists of three parts:
- Techstream diagnostic software
- Laptop / PC
- MongoosePro – Vehicle Interface Module
MongoosePro MFC2 allows the Techstream software to connect to the vehicle. Visit the Teachstream information page if you would like to learn more about Toyota’s approved dealer equipment.
What is the Best OBD2 Scanner for Toyota and Lexus vehicles?
If you are looking for a good OBD2 scanner that is affordable and covers all Toyota vehicles’ systems, the YOUCANIC full-system scanner is a great choice. It is capable of diagnosing any system on Toyota and Lexus vehicles. It can read and clear codes. View sensors data and even offers bidirectional support.
Suppose you are an independent auto mechanic who focuses on repairing Toyota and Lexus vehicles. In that case, the YOUCANIC full system scanner is still an affordable professional scanner that you need to consider in addition to the Snap-On Solus. While SnapOn has a yearly paid subscription the YOUCANIC scanner does not.
To avoid overwhelming you, we only highlight some of the best OBD2 scanners that work on Toyota, Lexus, and Scion vehicles. The scanners we cover here are our recommendations for DIYers who want to diagnose more than just a check engine light.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!