Program Acura Key Fob
Do you have a new Acura key fob that doesn’t unlock/lock your vehicle? Learn how to program it by following the procedures shown below.
- Enter your Acura and close all the doors. Ensure the hood and trunk are closed as well.
- Turn the key to position II. All dash lights should turn on but do not start the engine. If you have a START/STOP button, press it without pressing the brake pedal.
- Press Unlock on the working keyfob: Press the lock button on the keyfob.
- Dash lights off: Turn the key back one click to position I. All dash lights will turn off at this point.
- Repeat steps two through four three more times. In other words, Dash lights on (Position II) > Press Unlock on working keyfob > Dash lights off (Position I) four times total.
- You should hear the door locks cycle at this point, which means you have entered programming mode. Quickly press the lock button on all remotes you want to program. You can typically program only up to three remotes.
Each of these steps needs to be completed within four seconds. If you fail at one point, don’t give up. Try again, and you will succeed. Test all Acura remotes if they are working correctly. If you cannot program a new remote, repeat this procedure. If only one remote is not working, the batteries on that keyfob may be dead.
All keyfobs need to be programmed, even the existing remotes. You can program up to three (3x) remotes. If you program a fourth remote, the first remote gets deleted.
If these instructions don’t work, you must take your Acura to the dealer’s local locksmith or use an Acura key programmer tool you can find on eBay.
How to fix a broken Acura key?
Are you looking for an additional Acura key? If you already have two keys, but one is damaged, replacing the shell is much cheaper than ordering a new key.
Find an Acura key fob case online for your particular key and replace it yourself. The following video shows you to change the key case.
The other option is to order a new key from an Acura dealer. Acura keys are not cheap and can cost anywhere from $250 to $500. If your Acura is a new model, you must order the key from the dealer. For older Acura models, your local locksmith should be able to make you a copy of the key.
These instructions work on Acura TL and other models such as MDX, NSX, RDX, RL RLX, RSX, SLX, TLX, ZDX, CDX, CL, VSX, EL, ILX, Integra, and Legend.
We hope you find the Program Acura Key Fob guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Acura vehicle.
Trying to do this for the second keyfob they gave us with my daughter’s used 2008 Acura TL. One keyfob works but the other doesn’t. Not sure if it’s just the keyfob itself or the programming since I’ve tried the steps most people tell you to do. Yours are slightly different, so I’m going to try them but had a couple of questions.
Under Step 3, you say
“Press Unlock on working keyfob: Press the lock button on the keyfob.”
The second keyfob you mention – is that the nonworking keyfob you are talking about?
Under Step 5, you say
“Repeat steps 2 through 4 three more times. In other words Dash lights on (Position II) > Press Unlock on working keyfob > Dash lights off (Position I), four times total.”
You say to repeat steps 2-4 but when you summarized the steps, you don’t mention “Press the lock button on the keyfob.” as you instruct in Step 3 above. Is that only done the first time you cycle through?
Hoping this works. If not, we’ll likely just need to get a new fob. It seems to work (the red light blinks when you press the button) but it doesn’t seem to want to program.
Thanks for any help.
I need buy a new car key all ready program for 2012 Acura tl