What are the best OBD-II scanners for my Volvo? After testing a lot of OBD2 scanners, we want to share with you a list of scanners that you should consider if you are looking to troubleshoot Volvo cars.
1. YOUCANIC Full System Scanner
We tested a lot of scanners trying to find the best scanner to use in our garage. What we found is that:
- Many scanner manufacturers make scanners that require a yearly subscription.
- Can diagnose one make but doesn’t work on all different car makes. You will have to pay more to cover other vehicle makes.
- Can’t diagnose all vehicle systems. May only diagnose the engine, airbag, transmission, and ABS problems. That’s only 4 systems. Modern cars can have up to 40+ systems.
- Don’t support bi-direction support for sensor testing and activation.
If you wanted a scanner that can do all these, you have to spend thousands of dollars and most likely pay a yearly subscription.
So we decided to launch the YOUCANIC full system scanner that works on all makes and models.
The YOUCANIC full system scanner:
- Works on all makes.
- Can read and clear codes from all vehicle control units.
- View live data from any sensor.
- Bi-direction support to activate and test sensors and motors.
- Reset functions depending on model
If that is not enough, keep in mind that the YOUCANIC scanner does not require a yearly subscription as other professional-level tools do. We believe that the YOUCANIC scanner offers the best OBD2 for the money for auto mechanics and DIYers.
Don’t want to buy a scanner? We still want to help you fix your vehicle in an economical way. We created a scanner rental program that allows you to use the scanner for a few days on as many cars as you like.
We have a ton of how-to video showing you how to troubleshoot car problems. Once you get the codes, the YOUCANIC technicians can help you with any questions you may have.
2. Topdon ArtiDiag 100
Topdon ArtiDiag 100 is a great 5.0 touch screen OBD2 scanner that diagnoses all systems, including ABS, SRS, transmission, engine, oil Reset, electronic parking brake reset, BMS reset, SAS reset, DPF regeneration, and more. It is compatible with over forty-two car brands from the US, Asia, and Europe.
It gives you live data and is capable of reading and clearing a variety of different codes.
It’s also great for first-time users because it offers demo data to get you used to the device and is very intuitive. Overall, it’s a great portable scanner for mechanics and home users.
- Complete diagnostic system for over 70+ modules
- Capable of reading and clearing codes
- Live data
- Updates are done over WiFi; no computer is needed.
- Supports all makes
- Too advanced for new users
3. iCarsoft Vol II
iCarsoft for Volvo is one of the best OBD2 scanners for Volvo vehicles. It allows you to read and clear codes from all Volvo modules.
The iCarsoft scanner is an affordable, easy-to-use tool that checks several systems simultaneously, including SRS, ABS brakes, engine, door modules, climate controls, body, transmission, etc.
Not only can you read and clear fault codes, but also view sensor live data. This model is only for Volvo and SAAB OBD2 and EOBD-compliant vehicles.
It has advanced troubleshooting and shows current and stored codes not typically available unless you go to a dealer. Plus, you can reset specific systems like the oil light and service light. This is a good, cheap scanner for Volvo and SAAB owners.
- All system coverage
- Free software updates are available
- Live data
- Read and reset codes
- Only for Volvo and SAAB
- Not for models before 1996
4. Launch Creader VII+
The Launch Creader VII+ scanner offers engine, airbag, transmission, and ABS brake coverage. It works on ALL MAKES, including Volvo.
It allows you to read effectively and clear OBD2 trouble codes, perform oil light resets, and even view and graph live data in color.
Easily test your car’s engine, airbags, ABS breaks, and transmission systems and get a quick diagnosis and analysis. It supports most car models after 2006, and the software can easily be updated on a PC.
- It covers all makes, including European, Asian, and Dometic cars.
- Read and clear ABS, Airbag, Engine, and Transmission faults.
- Text and graphics display
- Portable and easy to use
- Easy and quick troubleshooting
- Not compatible with the IOS system for updates
- Engine, Airbag / SRS, ABS, and Transmission coverage only
5. Autel MaxiCOM
Autel MaxiCOM is one of the best OBD2 scanners for Volvo and other makes if you are looking for a cheap Volvo Vida DICE alternative. It provides all system coverage plus the programming of some modules. While Volvo Vida DICE covers only Volvo cars, Autel Maxidas covers most car models.
This scanner from Autel offers excellent convenience and efficiency for testing and diagnosis. The interface is very intuitive with its seven-inch LCD touchscreen. It covers more than eighty vehicles made in the US, Asia, and Europe.
It has functional tests that allow you to shut off injectors, reset systems and recalibrate functions. It features a quick read function that makes it easy to see what’s going on with your car quickly.
If you’re a DIY-er or a repair shop, it’s a great diagnostic scanner that will help you with all your coding and diagnostic needs.
- Compatible with more than 80 vehicles
- All system coverage
- Affordable professional diagnostic scanner
- Easy to use
- 7-inch LCD screen
- Advanced scanning and diagnostics
- Expensive for DIYers.
6. Foxwell Scanner for Volvo
Foxwell NT520 for Volvo allows you to read and clear codes from any module on Volvo cars. This great cost-effective professional scan tool delivers OE-level diagnostics on all electrical systems. It is compatible with both OBD1 and OBD2 and can read and clear all diagnostic trouble codes. You can download your specific car’s software onto the device, allowing you to customize it to your needs.
It allows you to communicate with SRS airbags, ABS brakes, engine, transmission modules, CEM, BCU, Door modules, Air Conditioner modules, etc. It also allows resetting systems like SAS, air conditioning, and oil service.
- Reads standard and advanced codes
- Can add up to 5 car models to the car at one time
- Compact design
- Lifelong updates and durability
- Not compatible with IOS
- Limited to Volvo (can download software for up to 5 other makes)
7. Volvo VIDA DICE Scanner
VIDA stands for Vehicle Information and Diagnostics for Aftersales. It is the same diagnostic tool and system used by Volvo dealerships. This means it can diagnose any module plus perform programming. You will need to purchase a Subscription through the Volvo Tech Info website STORE, then follow the steps provided to install VIDA software.
- OBD-II vehicles DiCe or J2534-2
- D2 and GGD protocol-based vehicles require DiCE
- 2004 Up for reprogramming via J2534-1
- All module coverage
- Can program modules
- Read clear codes from any module
- Reset any warning light
- Diagnose all systems
- Only for Volvo
- The interface is not as modern
- Very expensive for DIYers.
- Difficult to use
8. Nexas HD Scanner
Nexas HD Scanner is an excellent scanner for Volvo trucks that can read and clear codes and view live data in the engine, transmission, instrument panel, brake, vehicle management, cab climate, and fuel systems.
This model is designed specifically for heavy-duty trucks, but it is also compatible with many other vehicles makes and models that are OBD2 compatible.
It has an excellent display for live data leak checks and can read and clear all codes. It can monitor the battery and read, store, and playback O2 sensor test data. It supports all heavy-duty trucks that are compliant with the protocol.
- Supports heavy-duty trucks
- Easy to use
- Battery health check feature
- Free software update
- Heavy-duty trucks must comply.
- Not compatible with all car models
If you are looking for the best Volvo OBD2 scanner to diagnose the VOLVO problem YOUCANIC full system is a great choice. Not only can it diagnose all systems on a Volvo, but it also works on all other makes. Plus has bi-direction support. If you are looking for an Engine, ABS, Airbag, and Transmission scanner that works on Volvo and other car make, Launch Creader is an excellent choice. We recommend it for auto mechanics or anyone looking for a broad vehicle coverage scanner.
The scanners in this list cover 1996 and newer Volvo cars, trucks, and SUVs such as the XC70, V70, S60, S40, V40, V50, XC60, XC90, S60, S70, S80, and C30. Make sure to check the model coverage for each scanner before purchasing.
We hope you find the 7 Best Volvo OBD2 Scanners guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Volvo.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!