It's important to make sure that your headlights are always properly aligned.
If your Volvo shifter is stuck in park don't panic. In this guide, you will learn how to override Volvo shifter and manually get the car out of Park.
Manually Override Volvo that's Stuck in Park
There are three shifter types. Scroll down until you find the shifter that looks like yours.
If your Volvo has a big gap in front of the shifter as shown in the picture, the shifter release is located under the small storage pad.
Set the parking brakes and keep the brake pedal pressed during this procedure. Risk of the vehicle rolling when you get it out of the park.
- Remove the plastic pad in the small storage compartment in front of the climate control/shifter.
- Remove the emergency key from your Volvo key or use a flathead screwdriver to press down as you move the shifter out of park.
On some Volvos, you will notice a small label that says SHIFT LOCK next to the shifter. You will use this to unlock the shifter.
- Set the emergency brakes. Keep the brake pedal pressed during this procedure. Risk of the vehicle rolling.
- Use a small flathead screwdriver to pop up the cap that says SHIFT LOCK.
- Insert the screwdriver into the exposed hole and press down.
- While you press down on the screwdriver and keep the brake pedal pressed, move the shifter from Park to Reverse, Neutral or Drive.
In this Volvo, you don't have a shifter release that is easily accessible. You will need to remove the shifter trim to get your Volvo out of Park or from Neutral to Park.
- Set the emergency brakes and keep the brake pedal pressed during this procedure. Risk of the vehicle rolling when the shifter is moved out of Park.
- Use a dashboard removal trim to pop up the trim around the shifter.
On the driver's side, on the side of the shifter is a white tab which is the SHIFTER RELEASE. Use a flathead screwdriver to press down.
- As you press down on the shifter release manually move the shifter out of Park. This will allow you to move the shifter into Neutral.
These instructions will allow you to manually override Volvo shifter on models such as XC70, V70, S60, S40, V40, V50, XC60, XC90, S60, S70, S80, C30.
- Volvo won't go into Drive
- Can't get Volvo shifter out of Park
- Shifter won't go into Reverse, Drive or Park
- Volvo gear shift stuck and won't move
- Defective brake light switch
- Spilling fluid on the shifter
- Defective shifter module
You may need to manually get your Volvo out of Park if you have to tow the car, want to move a car that is inoperable, the battery has died or simply the shifter is stuck and won't come out of the park.
The shifter override methods described here will allow you to manually release Volvo shifter on any model.