In this guide, you will find instructions on how to open the hood on a Volvo.
How to Get Volvo Out of Park | Shifter Stuck In Park
If your Volvo shifter is stuck in the park, don't panic. In this guide, you will learn how to override the Volvo shifter and manually get the car out of Park.
Manually Override Volvo that's Stuck in Park
There are three shifter types. Scroll down until you find the shifter that looks like yours.
If your Volvo has a big gap in front of the shifter, the shifter release is located under the small storage pad, as shown in the picture.
Set the parking brakes and keep the brake pedal pressed during this procedure—there is a risk of the vehicle rolling when you get it out of the park.
- Remove the plastic pad in the small storage compartment in front of the climate control/shifter.
- Remove the emergency key from your Volvo key or use a flathead screwdriver to press down as you move the shifter out of the park.
On some Volvos, you will notice a small label that says SHIFT LOCK next to the shifter. You will use this to unlock the shifter.
- Set the emergency brakes. Keep the brake pedal pressed during this procedure. Risk of the vehicle rolling.
- Use a small flathead screwdriver to pop up the cap that says SHIFT LOCK.
- Insert the screwdriver into the exposed hole and press down.
- While you press down on the screwdriver and keep the brake pedal pressed, move the shifter from Park to Reverse, Neutral, or Drive.
In this Volvo, you don't have a shifter release that is easily accessible. You will need to remove the shifter trim to get your Volvo out of Park or Neutral to Park.
- Set the emergency brakes and keep the brake pedal pressed during this procedure. Risk of the vehicle rolling when the shifter is moved out of Park.
- Use a dashboard removal trim to pop up the trim around the shifter.
On the driver's side, on the shifter side, is a white tab, which is the SHIFTER RELEASE. Use a flathead screwdriver to press down.
- As you press down on the shifter release, manually move the shifter out of Park. This will allow you to move the shifter into Neutral.
These instructions will manually override Volvo shifter on models such as XC70, V70, S60, S40, V40, V50, XC60, XC90, S60, S70, S80, C30.
- Volvo won't go into Drive
- Can't get Volvo shifter out of Park
- Shifter won't go into Reverse, Drive, or Park
- Volvo gear shift stuck and won't move.
- Defective brake light switch
- Spilling fluid on the shifter
- Defective shifter module
You may need to manually get your Volvo out of Park if you have to tow the car, want to move an inoperable car, the battery has died, or simply the shifter is stuck and won't come out of the park.
The shifter override methods described here will allow you to release the Volvo shifter on any model manually.
Published on: Wednesday, March 4, 2020.