Is your Honda Ridgeline brake feels soft and weak? Learn how to fix the problem by replacing the front brake pads of your Honda Ridgeline. This guide will show step-by-step procedures for replacing the front brake pads on a Honda Ridgeline.
What you will need
- Jack stand
- Lug wrench
- Socket wrench
- Wheel chocks
- Breaker bar
- Brake pads
- Torque wrench
- Set the transmission in park gear and the parking brakes.
- Loosen the lug nuts on the front wheel and put wheel chocks on the back wheels to prevent the vehicle from rolling.
- Jack the vehicle up on the front and secure it with the jack stands. Then remove the lug nuts and remove the front wheel from the car.
- Spray penetrating oil to the screws on the disc brake rotor to remove it later easily.
- Push the brake caliper out using a screwdriver to push the pistons in.
- Next, remove the 17mm bolts on the brake caliper using a socket wrench and hang the brake caliper on the strut using a wire.
- Remove the small clips that push the brake pads out. Remove the worn brake pads.
- Remove the bolts on the caliper bracket using a breaker bar and pull the bracket off.
- Remove the set screws on the disk brake rotor and tap the other side using a hammer or hard material to push the rotor out. The set screw can get stuck, and the head may get damaged. If that’s the case, you must drill the screw out. While reinstalling the set screw is recommended, it is possible to reinstall the rotor without a set screw.
- Install the new rotor back to the vehicle and the set screw.
- Install the caliper bracket back to its place and reinstall the bolts back to the bracket. Torque to specification; see chart below. Install the new brake pad and clips back to the brake pads.
- Line up the brake caliper back and reinstall the 17mm bolts on the back of the caliper. Torque to specification.
- Carry the wheel back to the vehicle and reinstall the lug nuts.
- Start the engine and press the brake pedal a few times before driving.
- Brake caliper bolts: 70 Nm (51 ft/lbs)
- Brack caliper bracket bolts: 140 Nm (103 ft/lbs)
- Lug nuts: 129 Nm (95 ft-lbs)
We hope you find the Honda Ridgeline Front Brake Pad Replacement guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Honda.