Is the brake fluid warning light displayed on your Mercedes-Benz? Learn how to fix the problem by adding brake fluid to your Mercedes-Benz S-Class. This guide is a step-by-step procedure to check and add brake fluid on a 2006-2013 Mercedes-Benz S550 W221.
What you will need
- Brake Fluid (DOT 4+)
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard. Locate the hood latch on the vehicle’s front and slide it to the right to unlock it. Open the engine hood and hook it to the engine hood stand.
- Pull the hood up until the hood struts are in hold position.
3. Locate the brake fluid reservoir on the driver side of the engine compartment near the firewall.
4. Check the fluid level on the reservoir; there’s a minimum and max label. Use a light or shake the reservoir to determine the fluid level more easily. It is important to check the brake fluid level to prevent air bubbles from the brake lines and poor braking performance. Bleeding the brakes also eliminates air bubbles.
5. If the brake fluid is at the minimum level, open the cap by turning it counterclockwise.
6. Pour in the Brake Fluid (DOT 4+). Make sure that the brake fluid is from a sealed and unopened container.
7. Close the cap by turning it clockwise. After the top-up of brake fluid, observe if it reaches the minimum level again in the brake fluid reservoir; If this occurs, there could be a possible brake leak. Inspect brake lines and hoses condition, inspect the condition of brake caliper seals kit, and replace the old ones if needed.
We hope you find the 2006-2013 S-Class Mercedes-Benz Check or Add Brake Fluid guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your Mercedes-Benz.