If the BMW hood won’t stay up, the problem usually is the hood supports (hood struts). This guide provides instructions on replacing the BMW hood lift supports yourself.
- Hood won’t stay up
- My BMW hood drops soon after I open the hood.
- Bonnet won’t support itself.
What you will need
- BMW Hood Lift Support
- Flathead Screwdriver
- Work Gloves
- Work Glasses
Follow these instructions to replace the hood support on your BMW.
- Pull the hood release under the dashboard twice and open the hood.
- Have a helper keep your BMW hood up as you work to replace the hood supports.
- Locate two hydraulic hoods supports on your BMW. Most BMWs use two hood lift supports.
- Use the screwdriver to push away the metal C clip. You don’t need to remove it completely. Just push it away from the joint.
- Pull the hood support away from the ball joint.
- Repeat the procedure on the other end of the hood support.
- Grab the new hood support and move the C clip away from its resting place. This will allow you to easily push the new hood lift into the ball joint.
- Install the hood support on one side. Make sure to slide the C clip down to lock it in place.
- Install the other end of the hood support.
- Repeat the same procedure for the other side of the hood.
Enjoy a BMW hood that stays up on its own.
BMW hood lift support may also be referred to as hood shock, hood lift, hood spring, gas hood lift, or hood damper. Installing new BMW hood lift supports is easy and takes less than twenty minutes.
Just replace the hood lift supports to fix a BMW hood that won’t stay up. The hood supports on BMW are gas-filled and may leak, failing to keep the hood in the up/open position. This is a common problem on many BMWs, including 1, 3, 5, 6 X1 X3 X5 X6 series. If the hood falls while working on the hood support, it can cause serious injuries. The best thing to do is have someone else help keep the hood up.
We hope you find the BMW Hood Won’t Stay Open – Replace Hood Supports guide helpful. Check these troubleshooting and repair guides for more help on your BMW.
Have questions about your car? Get assistance in our newly launched forum section. We’re here to provide support!